Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hot Oil Fix?

Old 02-01-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Oil Fix?

I took my 08 Sahara Auto into the dealership yesterday for some warranty repairs. I informed the tech that after the A/T recall they did last year for the warning message, that the "Hot Oil" warning now comes on routinely under very minor off road conditions. He called me today and told me that there is a service bulliten out that addresses the overheating but didnt say exactly what except that the jeep is complete and ready to be picked up. Anyone else hear about this? Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vegasoutlaw
I took my 08 Sahara Auto into the dealership yesterday for some warranty repairs. I informed the tech that after the A/T recall they did last year for the warning message, that the "Hot Oil" warning now comes on routinely under very minor off road conditions. He called me today and told me that there is a service bulliten out that addresses the overheating but didnt say exactly what except that the jeep is complete and ready to be picked up. Anyone else hear about this? Thanks
Maybe they gave you a tranny cooler (doubtful). Be great if that is what they would have done instead of an idiot light.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Good idea. Ill get that manana when i pick it up figure out what they did if anything.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very interested in this as well, as I dropped mine off at the dealer today for the hot oil warning and alarm bells in addition to the check engine light. Check engine was a leak in the fuel line. They didn't know what the hot oil was, let me tell you I was very confident it would get fixed properly... ???
Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get the Hot Oil message now because they flashed your computer. I had the hot oil message a couple of times on minor offroad trips and have seen the same with 3 other jeeps. The fact is that your transmission oil is too hot, before you just did not know it. So get a aux trans cooler or a guage or just put the jeep in 4L with O/D off and keep in in D. I do all 3 now and stay pretty cool. When I do the 4L trick when my guage says 210 degrees or higher, the temp drops rapidly 10 to 15 degrees.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ECHO
I would ask him for the TSB number - I just looked at Mitchells on demand and there is no recent TSB for any overheat or auto transmission issues.. I would raise the B.S. Flag
TSB 21-018-08. looks like a real old one from even before the hot oil warning add. Accd to the rep it adjusts shift points. I run the superchip so this was all probably a waste of time. I complained to the mgr. He said they had never had a wrangler back in for the warning light. So mines the only one. He also said that the jeeps arent really made for driving hard off road anymore if you can believe that and then the discussion turned towards the lift and tires so i just grabed my shit and spilt.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKCobra
Very interested in this as well, as I dropped mine off at the dealer today for the hot oil warning and alarm bells in addition to the check engine light. Check engine was a leak in the fuel line. They didn't know what the hot oil was, let me tell you I was very confident it would get fixed properly... ???
Any update?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

TSB 21-018-08. looks like a real old one from even before the hot oil warning add. Accd to the rep it adjusts shift points. I run the superchip so this was all probably a waste of time. I complained to the mgr. He said they had never had a wrangler back in for the warning light. So mines the only one. He also said that the jeeps arent really made for driving hard off road anymore if you can believe that and then the discussion turned towards the lift and tires so i just grabed my shit and spilt.
Smart move
Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by remark
You get the Hot Oil message now because they flashed your computer. I had the hot oil message a couple of times on minor offroad trips and have seen the same with 3 other jeeps. The fact is that your transmission oil is too hot, before you just did not know it. So get a aux trans cooler or a guage or just put the jeep in 4L with O/D off and keep in in D. I do all 3 now and stay pretty cool. When I do the 4L trick when my guage says 210 degrees or higher, the temp drops rapidly 10 to 15 degrees.
Ummm dont really want to run around on trails all the time in 4low- Oil shouldnt be getting hot
Old 02-03-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Ummm dont really want to run around on trails all the time in 4low- Oil shouldnt be getting hot
Why not?
4lo actually reduces automatic transmission temps.

An aux cooler is the best route to go, though.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-03-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Hot Oil Fix?