Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How can I turn off the auto lock feature??

Old 03-12-2007, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I turn off the auto lock feature??

I hate that every time I drive off the damn doors lock..Is there any way to dissarm this annoying feature??

Thanks
Old 03-12-2007, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

there's already a number of threads on this, but:

get in and close the doors. turn the ignition on to the last point just before you would start the engine. turn it back off. do this 4 more times to make a total of 5 times. on the 5th time, it should be left at the ON position. within a few seconds, push UP on the driver's side power lock switch twice. this will disable auto locks.

personally, i left the auto locks enabled. instead, i only pushed up on the power lock switch once when doing this procedure. this enables all doors to unlock when i open (unlock) the driver's side door. i figured the auto locks will probably be a good thing for when we've got a kid.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info..

If I had children I would leave them enabled.But I use my jeep for work(construction)and everytime I got to the back to open the gate and get a tool out it is locked and I have to go around to the front door and unlock it

Very small thing,but annoying..

Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AndrewZ
Thanks for the info..

If I had children I would leave them enabled.But I use my jeep for work(construction)and everytime I got to the back to open the gate and get a tool out it is locked and I have to go around to the front door and unlock it

Very small thing,but annoying..

Thanks again.
well, the way i set it up (1 up instead of 2), when i open the driver door, all the doors unlock anyways. so that would solve your problem as well as leaving the auto locks on. but whatever suits you best. also, if you read the manual, there's a sequence you can do with the key fob to set it so that hitting the unlock button on the key fob once unlocks all doors instead of having to do it twice.

glad i could help
Old 03-13-2007, 11:05 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superboo
well, the way i set it up (1 up instead of 2), when i open the driver door, all the doors unlock anyways. so that would solve your problem as well as leaving the auto locks on. but whatever suits you best. also, if you read the manual, there's a sequence you can do with the key fob to set it so that hitting the unlock button on the key fob once unlocks all doors instead of having to do it twice.

glad i could help

Good recommendation.

I have a three year old, and I found that the "1 up" setting is the best solution for families. With the default auto-lock setting, you have to manually unlock the doors, every time you go to get your child out of their car seat. With the "1 up" setting, the doors unlock as soon as I get out of the car. Funny story; my wife won't let me drive with my son, sans doors. If you see a silver Jk driving around SoCal with the front doors off, and the back doors on,... that's me. Here's my boy and his ride hangin out on our first drive off-road.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Default Need Help

I tried this a couple of times, off to on 5 times then hit lock up once, but my doors still don't all unlock when i exit...am i missing a step?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BeerMonkey
i cant seem to get mine in the unlock all mode either
Originally Posted by DocBink
I tried this a couple of times, off to on 5 times then hit lock up once, but my doors still don't all unlock when i exit...am i missing a step?
are you making sure to start with the doors closed? are you making sure to go from all the way off to as-far-as-you-can-go-without-starting-the-engine? remember, the 5th time you set it to on, just leave it there and hit the door lock switch (NOT the window switch!) up once.

i _have_ read about other people having to do this 6-8 times before it worked for them. i'd suggest just trying all the steps over from the start. it should work just fine for you if you follow the steps. i got it on the 1st try - i'll add that i was fairly quick about the on-off-on-etc. maybe even have a friend or spouse read the directions and let them do it under your supervision. perhaps you're missing or botching a step and not realizing it.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

is there a list somehwere that has all these neat things writen down? I want to disable the headlights from coming on when you unlock the car. Also that nasty door chime needs to go so i can play my jams with the door open.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nader
is there a list somehwere that has all these neat things writen down? I want to disable the headlights from coming on when you unlock the car. Also that nasty door chime needs to go so i can play my jams with the door open.
i know you can turn off the headlights going off when locking feature, not sure if the same trick works for unlocking. it's in your owner's manual.

as for music with the door open....just put the windows down and drop the top, that's why you got a jeep!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

The magic (I think) is holding the lock button up for ~3 seconds. I did that and it worked for me jsut fine.

Quick Reply: How can I turn off the auto lock feature??