JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   How do I reset my oil change light? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/how-do-i-reset-my-oil-change-light-116570/)

EagleArmsHBAR 01-27-2010 06:18 AM

How do I reset my oil change light?

Darn thing keeps beeping when I start the Jeep, but I changed the oil already. Also are there any lube spots I need to hit under the Jeep when I change the oil?

chrisfetz 01-27-2010 06:23 AM

With the key on and engine off, depress the skinny pedal 3x.
That should take care of it...

wolfpuppies3 01-27-2010 07:34 AM

Read page 209 of your manual

To reset the oil change indicator system (after
performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the
following procedure:
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not
start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three
times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

Yellow93 01-27-2010 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by chrisfetz (Post 1533763)
With the key on and engine off, depress the skinny pedal 3x.
That should take care of it...

Yep that'll do it!

Bennyhana 01-27-2010 09:01 AM

Kind of a Hijack but, do all the JK's have the oil change reminder? I've put on more than 3000 miles since my last change and didn't reset anything at the time. Is it a timer or an actual oil analyzer gizmo?

JackMac4 01-27-2010 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bennyhana (Post 1534047)
Kind of a Hijack but, do all the JK's have the oil change reminder? I've put on more than 3000 miles since my last change and didn't reset anything at the time. Is it a timer or an actual oil analyzer gizmo?

Nope, it was added I think for 08s or 09s. I have never seen an 07 with it.

Adam3612 01-27-2010 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by musicman (Post 1534180)
It is an actual analyzer measuring several diferent functions in the vehicle. Gotta love computers. :thumbsup:

Are you sure? I changed my oil at the first of October with just under 26 000 kilometres on it reset indicator when I was done, now have just over 30 000 and it came on last night. The oil appears to be fine, which it should be considering its Mobil 1 synthetic and its only been in there not quite 4 months. I think these things are kinda screwy if you ask me because this isnt the first time the indicator has come on way too early. According to the manual we can go up to 10 000 km's er 6 months between oil changes, (not a freakin' chance in hell I would try to pull that off).

Jiblet 01-27-2010 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Adam3612 (Post 1534781)
Are you sure? I changed my oil at the first of October with just under 26 000 kilometres on it reset indicator when I was done, now have just over 30 000 and it came on last night. The oil appears to be fine, which it should be considering its Mobil 1 synthetic and its only been in there not quite 4 months. I think these things are kinda screwy if you ask me because this isnt the first time the indicator has come on way too early. According to the manual we can go up to 10 000 km's er 6 months between oil changes, (not a freakin' chance in hell I would try to pull that off).

The jeep does not actually analyze the oil itself. But it does run an algorithm that takes into account many of the engine and driving parameters that effect oil life.

If you have lots of cold starts, drive short trips, spend a lot of time in stop/go traffic, eat a lot of road dust, or do not spend sufficient time at operating temperature, then you are running "severe" conditions.

4000km (2500 miles) seems to be a common number for many folks. I change at 5,000 - 5,500 miles (or 6 months but that never happens!) and only got the chime once. Mobil 1 oil and filter.

if the synthetic is emptying your wallet to quickly, just use a good brand of dino. But personally, I would make the change when alerted.

Alf1096 01-27-2010 06:04 PM

I don't have a hoe to reset my light:rotflmao2:

Originally Posted by EagleArmsHBAR (Post 1533757)

Darn thing keeps beeping when I start the Jeep, but I changed the oil already. Also are there any lube spots I need to hit under the Jeep when I change the oil?

racinfast002 01-27-2010 06:22 PM

i usually just tell my hoe to get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich