Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How do you turn off the airbags???

Old 03-13-2011, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you turn off the airbags???

This is the first jeep I have had with airbags that did not have an airbag switch, or a dedicated fuse to pull, to turn these pieces of crap off. How do you keep from setting them off on the trail?

How do you semi-permanently shut these things off. I'll turn them back on when I ever sell it.

Before you ask why I want to turn them off, I hate airbags. Ralph Nadar stopped these things back in the 70's because they were so dangerous. I don't see how the government allows them. I did a term paper on these a LONG time ago and the only gas known to man to expand in the required time frame, to be effective, is more carcinogenic that smoking three packs a day for thirty years. And we all know how catastaphic they can be to children...
Old 03-13-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeepforfun
This is the first jeep I have had with airbags that did not have an airbag switch, or a dedicated fuse to pull, to turn these pieces of crap off. How do you keep from setting them off on the trail?

How do you semi-permanently shut these things off. I'll turn them back on when I ever sell it.

Before you ask why I want to turn them off, I hate airbags. Ralph Nadar stopped these things back in the 70's because they were so dangerous. I don't see how the government allows them. I did a term paper on these a LONG time ago and the only gas known to man to expand in the required time frame, to be effective, is more carcinogenic that smoking three packs a day for thirty years. And we all know how catastaphic they can be to children...
Id like know as well. :-)
Old 03-13-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't think you can turn off the new airbags, they are tied to weight in the seat, nobody in the seat the bag won't go off, light weight = less force, at least thats the way I understand how they work, I could be wrong and look forward to being corrected. The one ton ford that I use for plowing and ramming the snow banks often makes me wonder what it would take to set them off.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The benefits far outweigh any risks. Period. These bags are impact operated. Banging and jolting will not set them off. Your Jeep must have an impact within a certain speed range and degree of angle range. It was 15 mph into a fixed barrier and within a 30 degree range either side of the centerline. The bag will not deploy up to 30 mph when it is impacted into a yielding barrier. Much engineering work went into the bag systems to prevent unintended deployment. They are PROVEN systems that save lives. Entering your vehicle with vinyl and plastic trim panels expose you to many more cancer causing chemicals than a 1.5 second deployment of an airbag ever will. I've been to GM airbag school and all these issues were addressed completely. I first started looking at wrecked cars in the mid to late 50's. A vehicle involved in a front end hit REGARDLESS OF SPEED had blood, hair and teeth involved with the pointed horn buttons and steel dashboards and lack of seatbelts. I've been professionally employed as an autobody repairman for over 30 years and it's extremely unusual to see any blood, etc on the interior of a wrecked car. Even with an airbag deployment. The airbag deploys so fast and deflates so quickly the average person NEVER sees the bag during deployment, only the deflated bag.

Last edited by TINMAN080; 03-13-2011 at 05:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dat (07-20-2020)
Old 03-13-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default disconnecting

By the way you can unplug the airbag control module or each bag itself. After doing so your dash airbag lamp will stay on. Most state inspectors must reject your vehicle with an inoperative air bag system , and plugging everything back up will not turn the light off. You will have to be hooked up to a scan tool to clear the light and code. Every time. This post is for discussion only, I personally DO NOT endorse or support any attempt to defeat any safety system.

Last edited by TINMAN080; 03-13-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I have wacked a tree pretty hard on the trail, bent my rugged ridge pre-runner guard pretty bad and it didnt set off anything, its got to be a significant impact to set off airbags, not like old days with bumper sensors, they are only designed to go off when there is catastrphic accident forces.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

If you ever get into a wreck and you and/or your occupant gets seriously injured, I guarantee you that your insurance company will not pay for any medical expenses and also drop your policy...food for thought.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:41 AM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I have not seen sensors in the seats. I personally removed the passenger seat last week and there are no harnesses or anything that attach to the seat, 4 bolts and it's out. The driver's seat may be different but there are no sensors on my passenger seat, 10 2dr sport- no options.
You are correct. In the newer JK's there are no sensors in the seats. If there were you would see a light that would come on if no one was sitting in the passenger seat indicating that the air bag was off. That is why any child seat has to be attached in the rear. Again, whether you wear your seat belt or not or endorse air bags or not is your business. I have seen that both have saved many lives and prevented serious injury. I have never seen anyone driving a Jeep in my area not wearing a seat belt.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Arrow

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I have not seen sensors in the seats. I personally removed the passenger seat last week and there are no harnesses or anything that attach to the seat, 4 bolts and it's out. The driver's seat may be different but there are no sensors on my passenger seat, 10 2dr sport- no options.
This is true, As already mentioned, the sensors work by G-force / speed / impact range. There sre no sensors in the pass seat. The drivers seat seems to have a 2 wire sensor, was told that was one of the G-Force sensors. Not sure that if that is true. But it def has to to do with the airbag deployment computer in some aspect.

To the OP. I am sure you already know and was already mentioned as well, you are taking a hell of a chance with your insurance company, especially if you ever have a passenger, very big liability , to many things against you, not worth it.

My 2 Cents 4 free

SLIM
Old 03-14-2011, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepforfun

I went ahead & removed my seatbelts as well. I just never want to be trapped in my vehicle if I ever drive into a lake or river or something.

Death traps man! Death traps!
The following users liked this post:
TheRover (07-18-2020)

Quick Reply: How do you turn off the airbags???