Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How to fully remove door map pockets and trim

Old 06-11-2020, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fully remove door map pockets and trim

Greetings all. I'm trying to find a sheet or instructions on how to remove the front and rear door "map pockets" (net pockets) AND the frame around them from both front and rear JKU doors. I suspect it involves removing the door panel from what I can see but can't find anything on the forum or elsewhere (probably my own user error). Any insights? Cheers!
Old 06-11-2020, 10:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Are you talking about replacing with something like JK Pockets from SlickRock Gear?

https://www.slickrockgear.com/jk-pockets/

If that is the case, just pull those bungee straps as much as possible and cut them, then you can pull out the remnants.

Is there a reason you want to remove that frame around them?
Old 06-11-2020, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Are you talking about replacing with something like JK Pockets from SlickRock Gear?

https://www.slickrockgear.com/jk-pockets/

If that is the case, just pull those bungee straps as much as possible and cut them, then you can pull out the remnants.

Is there a reason you want to remove that frame around them?
No - I'm looking to remove the netting so I can replace it with something similar but stronger (and new). In order to do so, the framing around the existing pocket net has to come off so I can expose the back of it.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:52 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

That something that is "similar but stronger and new" is the JK pockets I linked for most of us. That netting or bungee style stuff is just bound to end up like a saggy diaper again. There is a good reason why there aren't hundreds of youtube vids showing how to remove those from the door panel after 13 years, and I can't imagine it's for lack of trying cuz everyone hates those saggy straps. Not saying you can't.....but just saying.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
That something that is "similar but stronger and new" is the JK pockets I linked for most of us. That netting or bungee style stuff is just bound to end up like a saggy diaper again. There is a good reason why there aren't hundreds of youtube vids showing how to remove those from the door panel after 13 years, and I can't imagine it's for lack of trying cuz everyone hates those saggy straps. Not saying you can't.....but just saying.
I get it. I have some MILSPEC webbing that’s perfect - practically bomb proof...and free. No way in hades I’m replacing it with the same rubbish. “Saggy diaper” is pretty spot on! If it’s too much of an agro job I’ll just find some aftermarket solution but I guess it’s the nature of most Jeep owners to want to go all in with mods.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

<knock on wood> I have not had to remove one of my door panels yet for any work so haven't seen the backside in person. I was cruising through some vids trying to see how that connects on the backside. Unfortunately, most people taking that panel off are doing videos for window regulators and such and aren't focusing in on the backside of the panel. This video has one of the better quick glances around 7:43 mark -

Looks like possibly a couple clips. If you are able to accomplish something like what you have in mind, please post a followup. I bet a lot of people would be interested. Seems like a lot of effort, but we all pick our battles
Old 06-15-2020, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I took the door panels off to take my netting out, just didn't care for the idea of leaving the ends stuffed in there. The netting is sandwiched and plastic welded in place on the back of the door card. It was a pain to get it all cut out, even from the back. I looked for pictures but I guess I didn't take any. There really isn't any existing place to mount new webbing to, you'd have to come up with something to fasten it.

There is a good shot of it in resharp's video (it's at 4:43) and you can see the edge where the netting is captured and basically squeezed in place. You'd have to cut some slots for the webbing and pull it through. I don't think that trim "frame" around the netting comes off unless you cut out those plastic welds. Space is tight back there so it whatever you do will have to sit very flat to the door card. Definitely keep us posted on your project.

Quick Reply: How to fully remove door map pockets and trim