Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to identify if alignment or bent trackbar bracket?

Old 11-22-2007, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to identify if alignment or bent trackbar bracket?

I got T-boned a few weeks ago on my front right wheel, and the axle shifted way to the left. 2 different shops replaced both front lower control arms and front trackbar, as they were bent. After both repairs, the steering wheel is still a quarter turn to the left, otherwise the car drives fine (although ESP is off).

Neither shop aligned the jeep but the 2nd shop said the frame bracket that holds the trackbar was bent and wanted to charge me $467 to fix it. That's fine and all except I crawled under and see nothing bent - and the shop is sketchy so I have reason to doubt them.

I have no pictures and with nothing to see, it's nearly impossible for you to guess, but I'm wondering if you would presume, as do I, that this is an alignment issue rather than a bent fram issue. Anyone have or know of any similar experiences and could offer an opinion? Thank you!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Maybe you need to recenter your steering wheel. Here is some info.

Q: How do I recenter my steering wheel?
Old 11-22-2007, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Yep recenter the wheel and if the Jeep goes straight then don't worry about it.

EDIT: Robar you are quick! I guess that's why you are a mod!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks a lot for the quick responses, and that link of info is easy enough. The only concern is, if the steering wheel is off to the left, wouldn't that automatically mean that something is bent underneath to the left? Why would the steering wheel be offcenter without something else being wrong? Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by crankitdb711
Thanks a lot for the quick responses, and that link of info is easy enough. The only concern is, if the steering wheel is off to the left, wouldn't that automatically mean that something is bent underneath to the left? Why would the steering wheel be offcenter without something else being wrong? Thanks again.
How far off center is it? After my lift was installed this last weekend my wheel was very close to center. I guess from the springs settling a little bit the wheel was off a quarter turn. I got underneeth and barely turned that steering assembly that WOL talks about and it centered very quickly. i don't think it takes much for it to be off center.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
How far off center is it? After my lift was installed this last weekend my wheel was very close to center. I guess from the springs settling a little bit the wheel was off a quarter turn. I got underneeth and barely turned that steering assembly that WOL talks about and it centered very quickly. i don't think it takes much for it to be off center.
Okay great, that's good news. Yeah it's a quarter rotation to the left, or 90* to the left which isn't too bad at all. I'll give adjusting that a try in the daylight tomorrow morning. Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

No problem man. I think you will find that it will not take much at all to get it adjusted right. i was thinking about why it would be off to begin with, maybe the shop who put it all back together adjusted it and they didn't take the time to make it real close. i have heard some who have had to do this 2 or 3 times before getting it to where they are happy with it. I adjusted it then had to go back the other way because i went a little too far. let me know how it turns out.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
No problem man. I think you will find that it will not take much at all to get it adjusted right. i was thinking about why it would be off to begin with, maybe the shop who put it all back together adjusted it and they didn't take the time to make it real close. i have heard some who have had to do this 2 or 3 times before getting it to where they are happy with it. I adjusted it then had to go back the other way because i went a little too far. let me know how it turns out.
Good points, and definitely a good head's up. Is there a difference between doing this adjustment to the steering wheel and getting an alignment? If I didn't get an alignment, you think I need to get one first before this?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

No. If the control arms were properly replaced this should be all you need to do.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

i strongly advise a 4-wheel alignment (camber/caster/toe).

Quick Reply: How to identify if alignment or bent trackbar bracket?