Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How long will a soft top live ?

Old 05-03-2008, 04:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How long will a soft top live ?

What's the life span of a soft top that's used as the only top. Going up and down and being broiled in the hot Texas sun ? Do you have any pictures of what they look like after just 2 of 3 years of use ?

Last edited by pkdailey4; 05-03-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In general, the JK soft top is a big improvement over the TJ soft top. Which, was a big improvement over the YJ. Which, was a big improvement over the CJ soft top
Wife has an 03 TJ soft top that looks brand new. My old YJ tops averaged about 3 years. The short life span was always due to tree branch trail damage.
The Texas sun will be your main enemy. For daytime parking, if you don't have a garage, try to park in the shade. Once or twice a year clean and treat your top with some of the aftermarket protectants made for the Jeep soft tops, (Check with vendors on this site). I would expect a minimum of 5 years with out an issue.
Use only very soft cloth when cleaning the plastic side windows. I don't even like to use paper towels on them
Old 05-03-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've had our JK unlimited with soft top only since Dec.06.
The first winter we had snow, however not alot. It seems we had more icy weather than snow, which means the city put out quite a bit of salt for the roads. I remember the top had white blotches all over. At any rate wheen nice weather came, a good washing cleaned the top right up. Our springs here give us quite a bit of rainfall, and alot of that is caustic rain. In addition we have a very high pollin count, so it's not abnormal to have a nice clean black top one day and the next morning a greenish-yellow top. This goes on for about 3-4 weeks. then again the rain. Come late May it starts getting hot our hot is normally 82*-87* with rain every now and then. Late June the temperatures increase to the upper 80's to the mid 90's with an occasional shower. This goes on through early August. Late August, the temperatures drop back to the low 80's with occasional showers. Around late September the temperatures begin to drop steadily, and by mid October it's in the mid to low 50's. November the temperature continues to drop and by the end of November it can be around mid 40's to low 30's. Dec through Feb. we are normally in the freezing range, with temperatures sometimes as low as 20's. Teens with the wind chill. Freezing rain, ice and snow is common.
That said, I believe our top has so far weathered well. After a good washing the top looks great. Nice and plyable with no signs of any problems.
After reading so much about 303 protectant, I bought 2 bottles, and have already rubbed a good coat on the top. I got the stuff from a marine shop. The workers there said they can't keep it in stock throughout the summer, as everyone comes in for it to use on their boats canvas, riggings, seats, and hardware. They say all they've talked to swear by the stuff.
At any rate it can't hurt.
I believe the JK soft top is one of the best made features on the Jeep. From what I see today, I would believe this top under normal conditions will last a good 8-10 years in the envirornment I'm in, maybe even longer. I do remove the top from around the end of June through the end of July, and store it in my basement. During that time I run either topless or bikini and trail duster, Keeping the Mopar cover handy for any showers that may come.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Used to ride a lot with my buddy in his YJ... no comparo to the apparent quality. I'm very happy with the JK material.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used zipper lubricant for the first time on my soft top (mopar) and let me tell you it makes a huge difference. Use 303 on the top to protect against sun and it should last a long time.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:31 PM
JK Jedi

I can't speak for the JK top, but my TJ top is still functional and viable after 6+ years of use as the only top, year round including Ohio winters, and I actually used it a lot. My windows look like crud, but that is no surprise. It does show some wear though.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I used zipper lubricant for the first time on my soft top (mopar) and let me tell you it makes a huge difference. Use 303 on the top to protect against sun and it should last a long time.
Does that stuff really work? I've heard that anything like that attracts dirt and makes zipper function actually worse. I kept mine clean on my TJ and they still perform well with no lube.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by putnam dan
rub a candle on them - works like a charm
Heard that one to, really works huh?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

My friend has a 93 YJ. The first 4 or 5 years he took the soft top off in the winter and installed his hard top but for the past 10 years or so he has had the soft top on. We JUST installed a new Pavement ends top this past week. He really should have got a new top over a year ago but it stuck with it using zip ties to hold it together. He REALLY USES his Jeep HARD!! It's not some garage kept show truck. If his top lasted almost 15 years than anyones can.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by putnam dan
rub a candle on them - works like a charm
Wax, from a candle or whatever, is the best for lubing zippers. We have blocks of wax at work for lubing our drill bits. As soon as I got my soft top on I rubbed the zippers down with that...run smooth as silk

Quick Reply: How long will a soft top live ?