Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Witha 2.5" BB and 34" tires and, can I tow a 3814 pound trailer locally with my Jeep
Yeah, just be smart when doing it.
37.14%
No, I absoultely would not do it.
62.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

How much can I REALLY tow?

Old 07-17-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Multiple things go into the tow rating of a vehicle.

Brakes, stability, critical frequency (sway), HP, cooling and other items.

If we compare a 4 door to a 2 door, they have the same drive train but the 2 door is 1500 less in rating. This is partly because of a shorter wheel base, but it is also due to the understand that people lift jeeps raises the center of gravity. If you compare a 2door JK to any other 2 door (not unlimited) the towing rating is the same, so here Jeep is very conservative. If you do a vehicle dynamics model you will find that a 2 door can tow more but it is not rated.

The 4 door with a longer wheel base is rated for more but now you will find that you are at the power, cooling and braking limit. But if you lift it you move the CG and lower the stability which lowers the critical frequency.

Bottom line dont do it, I understand the engineering behind the ratings and I would not go past the 3500 with a lifted jeep no way. If you said your jeep was not lifted and the loaded weight was 3800 then things might be different. But you said dry weight.

I would keep looking a campers as there are many choices that have a much lower dry weight and you will then be safe.

just my 2 cents.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mrsig That trailer looks like more than 300lbs GVW?

I have been searching online databases and cant find any over 17' that are under 3500lbs GVW

Some of the 16-17.5 are right at 3500-3600lb ratings
Old 07-17-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Nightbat
Mrsig That trailer looks like more than 300lbs GVW?

I have been searching online databases and cant find any over 17' that are under 3500lbs GVW

Some of the 16-17.5 are right at 3500-3600lb ratings
The Hybrids in the 17-19' range are under 3,500.

I appreciate all of the input. We may just keep to towing with my wifes vehicle. Went and looked at this trailer tonight and really liked it.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Just going to hop out there and say I do personally know someone who overloaded their vehicle's tow rating. Got into a collision that was not necessarily his fault, person died...he got hit for vehicular manslaughter. So what it "may" do and "is okay"...can turn and bite you in the ass.

Just sayin!
+1, I agree. Last April, I saw an overturned and totaled Dodge Durango that had been pulling a new camper trailer, on a busy North Carolina Interstate. Witnesses said that the trailer had been widely swaying back and forth on a windy day and it appeared that the driver, the dad, was trying to slow down and pull over. I read later that the family inside began this trip in a Mid-Western state, several days earlier. The teenage son was killed in this accident and the father was charged with negligence and vehicular manslaughter.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Wouldn't do it... bottom line. Dry weight before you put all of your stuff in it... you'll be over 4000lbs easy.

My wife and I are looking at a Tada due to it's super low dry weight plus all of our stuff=legal, safe, efficiant tow.

Would we love a bigger Camper... Hell yeah, but won't do it as our unlimited Jk will be our only tow rig.

Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: How much can I REALLY tow?