Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How much do you trust your locking.....

Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do you trust your locking.....

console and glove box. Do you feel like it's pretty secure. Would you leave any semi-valuables in it?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope. Dont trust it at all.

I dont leave anything much in mine. I have a bag i throw in the back with all my recovery stuff in it when i go, otherwise not anything in it.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

to me depends more on the area you are in. I leave my Oakley sunglass's in mine locked at but places like the mall and movie theater because those seem to be target places for break in. Ive left my Digital Camera in the center console for a short period while running inside a store
Old 06-20-2007, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

^X2 for Happy's comments, * 100...

Remember this rule or else you may learn it the hard way:

Don't leave anything in your Jeep if you'd be really angry/upset if it were missing when you returned... the lockable storage is PLASTIC, and won't cause a thief too much trouble.

Even the "tougher" aftermarket security products aren't thief-proof... at best, they'll just inconvenience a thief for a little while longer than the stock lockage storage.

Not trying to be negative or an alarmist, just trying to save you from one of the Jeep Life's potential painful lessons... To put it in mathematical terms: Wranglers <> Security
Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

My hard learned advice - don't leave anything in it and even more important don't lock it. It is crappy plastic and will not stop a criminal. I've now got a broken handle, latch and a scratched up dash where a crowbar was used to open it. Had I just left it unlocked and nothing in it, my Jeep wouldn't have been damaged. The whole thing took less than 5 minutes in an empty parking lot. The theif must have pulled up in a car, hit my Jeep and drove off. The only thing that was in the glove box was an ugly hat. It was not stolen. Whatever they could have taken would have been easier to replace than the damaged dash and glove box.

When I get mine fixed it'll be unlocked and the only thing that will be in there will be a chained up cheap camera, an air-horn (I'll wire up a switch to the latch) and a business card with a website where the sob can find the picture of his sorry ass in shock and exactly what I think of him.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Do I trust it? No. Do I keep stuff locked up in it? Yes. Aside from the required paperwork I keep the girls bandanas and my Garmin in the glove box.
I keep a small pair of binoculars, flashlight, knife, and a few odds and ends in the console. The only two things that would bother me if stolen are the Garmin and binoculars. If I knew I was in a more risky area I would take the Garmin and binoculars with me but usually the jeep is not parked long outside of the yard. I guess I should leave the Garmin home but the problem is I got all sorts of places that look like fishing holes or other points of intrest I have found using Mapquest and the arial pictures programed in and who knows when I will decide to drive to one or two and see if the reality matches the pictures. So far a couple have panned out while others are a bust.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by shon
When I get mine fixed it'll be unlocked and the only thing that will be in there will be a chained up cheap camera, an air-horn (I'll wire up a switch to the latch) and a business card with a website where the sob can find the picture of his sorry ass in shock and exactly what I think of him.
Hah...I like that idea
Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

nice
Old 06-20-2007, 11:11 AM
JK Junkie

Don't be cheap about it - if you're going to do it, do it right: rig up some bear mace (ala "Dog the Bounty Hunter") while you're at it!
Old 06-20-2007, 03:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MossMan
console and glove box. Do you feel like it's pretty secure. Would you leave any semi-valuables in it?
The Tuffy console is much more secure for the valuables. It was a good investment to protect my ipod, camera, etc. Little stuff adds up... plus with a garage door opener, I like to secure everything in the Tuffy!

Quick Reply: How much do you trust your locking.....