Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How much trouble is it to remove full doors?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JEP THNG
If you would like to prevent the cowl dimple mod, remove while on flat surface and hold onto the door (particularly the front) and don't let it slam into the jeep.
And I thought that I was the only one with that mod!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default No Trouble

I think the biggest trouble I had when removing my doors was finding a place to store them so the kids wouldn't jack them up Looking in to building some hangers now

It was pretty easy to do. Make sure you open the door at a 90 degree angle, I didn't and chipped some paint because the hinge wasn't clearing. Lesson learned. Also my daughter helped spot me when putting them back on...trying to avoid more paint issues.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Its super easy as you can tell from the multitude of posts youve seen here, but just store them somewhere where theyre not gunna get scratched up and youre good to go
Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't have it here in front of me, but shouldn't it also be in the owner's manual?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
I don't have it here in front of me, but shouldn't it also be in the owner's manual?
It wasn't in the manual for my 2010 - maybe on the disc I haven't broken that out yet.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
Yes, it's in the owners manual. The screws on the hinges are T50 torx heads so if you don't have one you can pick up a T50 socket ahead of time to save some headache. It's very simple, as other have said.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JEP THNG
If you would like to prevent the cowl dimple mod, remove while on flat surface and hold onto the door (particularly the front) and don't let it slam into the jeep.
Both of my doors have scratches on them from falling and being dropped. One time the door fell onto the body of my JK and made a huge scratch. Luckily that was able to be buffed out, unlike the scratches on the door.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I tried to take the doors off the other day (the star wrench is a torx 45 on my 08 rubi btw) and they will not budge.... I've wiggled them I've had them opened far enough that nothing is catching, everything is disconnected, but they will not budge. I lifted the side of the jeep almost a foot but the doors don't slide out I gave up because I was afraid I was going to break/bend something which I've done before to other vehicles..... any help would be appreciated
Old 08-08-2010, 01:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecricket
Ok I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I tried to take the doors off the other day (the star wrench is a torx 45 on my 08 rubi btw) and they will not budge.... I've wiggled them I've had them opened far enough that nothing is catching, everything is disconnected, but they will not budge. I lifted the side of the jeep almost a foot but the doors don't slide out I gave up because I was afraid I was going to break/bend something which I've done before to other vehicles..... any help would be appreciated
Maybe try this with two people:

1. Using a piece of wood to protect the door, jack up an inch or two on the door from the bottom.

2. Have someone hold onto the door (prepared to save it if it breaks free), while another person jumps (starting gently) up and down on the door sill.

3. Start with the jack low. I suspect once things start moving, it will be pretty easy after that--you may even just be able to use the jack to get it off the rest of the way.

4. You can use WD-40 if need be on the hinges.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I added a small amount of grease to my door hinges, they come on/off great. For the door storage I got a furniture dolly? - flat rectangle cart with casters and two ends have carpet... I put a piece of trim on the sides with carpet and built a piece of framework for the doors to lean on. It works great and I just push the doors from the garage to the jeep.

Quick Reply: How much trouble is it to remove full doors?