Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hydrolocked Engine. Need help

Old 12-31-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if something doesn't work, you can try ebay. I saw an engine on there the other day for $700. There is also an X model they are selling for parts.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

engines are really fragile intricate devices... its highly unlikely to break a piston rod and not score the crank, knock a main journal out of round, or scuff a main... sure it might " run" when you put it back together but all the bolts need torqued to the right spec.. and in the right sequence..what about any metal shavings that worked their way through the oil before you shut the Jeep off? cold water hitting the hot head as it came in... the new rod and bearings need clearanced.. the crank should be checked for chaffing... in a hydrolock situation with an aluminum head its also possible to warp the head ever so slightly... as well as care to be used like a ring compressor when putting the piston in.. and indexing your rings... if you are putting in a new piston honing the cylinder so the rings actually seat in.... building engines is Not *hard* per say however there are a lot of simple yet very important things to do to make it run correctly and be long-lasting...
-Christopher
Old 12-31-2008, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xarkansasx
okay well today was 2nd to last day of assembly. tomorrow I am running to mopar to get the bolt i need for the intake manifold gasket.

I am surprised at this tear down. Going from the assembled engine down to being able to stick my hand through the cylinder and touch the crankshaft. And putting it all back together. Without a book, without anything but a general knowledge of parts.
I have learned 2 things, no snorkel = no water. And I can be more confidant next time i tear apart my engine b/c I know where everything goes. Some of my friends and family say it was pretty crazy and redneck of me to try to break into my engine without any instructions, make repairs, and put it back together; I just say, its a jeep thing.
Well, going off of what you said here I'd have to say that you should look into a new engine. The one your fixing is not going to last. I can not imagine why on earth you would take apart the engine on a reasonably new vehicle without any instructions.v

It's things like this that allow my Jeep to hold its value... Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Unfortunate

At this point he has done way too much to the engine to get an insurance claim.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez
what caused your cylinder to fill up in the first place??? do you have a bad injector? You probably should have taken it in for the warranty.
hydrolocked, he assumed we understood...and we did, is from putting the air intake too close to the waterline of the body of water your jeep is submerged in.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:05 AM
JK Newbie

i appreciate all of the posts. thank you for pointing out issues that I may have missed or that others may miss down the road. Tonight is the last of assembly, I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. again i thank everyone for their advice and suggestions. happy new year! : )
Old 01-01-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by xarkansasx
Tonight is the last of assembly
Hope your new year starts out great then!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

A lot of us here keeping our fingers crossed for you. You certainly have more cajones than most of us for tearing it down, but then again if the alternative is just to purchase another engine, if it doesn't work you aren't out that much other than your time.

I'll be waiting to hear good news!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

good luck and hope things work out for ya. Might give me the inspiration to rip apart my old rodeo
Old 01-01-2009, 09:22 PM
JK Newbie

gentlemen, after 14 full days of doing nothing but going to work and working on my engine. It is done. It runs, runs just as well as it ever has. It was absolutely worth it.

Two initial problems near the end.

1) the belt is squeaky. I have to say we didn't set it aside properly so i have to buy a new one. (no biggie)

2) while removing the throttle-body. The clip that hooks up the electrics broke. Which means it could not actuate and get the proper airflow to my engine. (solution was to zip tie it until I can order a new clip or just hardwire it and relocate the dislocation point.)

but it runs. It runs so well, It sounds great, and nothing has ever felt quite as good as the moment I put it in reverse and pulled out of my driveway and took a spin up the street and back. I have 3 loves in my life. My Jeep, My girlfriend and my Parrot. (in that order) [haha, jk babe]. and I am so incredible stoked on life that it is running again. Thank you so much those who supported me, Thank you too who doubted me. I have completely built my confidance working on engines. So my mom and I had so much fun doing this, we are now ready to tackle our next project.... willys maybe?

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked Engine. Need help