Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hydrolocked... now what?

Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hydrolocked... now what?

My jeep is a 2009 X with around 9000km. I was driving in a trail which I passed many times in the summer without any issues.
Miscalculation: higher water level due to the fall rain & reverse sens I usually take.
My hood got submerged underwater by about an inch, I give it gas and the motor dies.
I try to restart before the the intake gets filled with water, Bang. not good.
I decide to put it in 1st gear and get the jeep out of the water using power from the starter.

2 Days later, I now have a 1 in² piece of the engine block in my hand. Needless to say, that bang did damage.

I now need a new engine.

options:

1. I install a 10K engine from a salvaged vehicle, swallow-up my failed attempt and put 4K$ on the table.

2. I call my insurance company, find a nice story to tell pay the 1k deductible and wait a month or two for them to shuffle paperwork.

3. Go to the dealership and make an idiot out of myself.

Anyone with 1st hand experience could comment?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Warranty-wise, what would be the impact of the dealer finding-out there is a non-original engine in place? would the tranny and TC still be covered?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BRUZR
Try this . . . .

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/sponsor-used-vehicle-parts-sale-forum-127/stock-3-8l-6-speed-dana-44-a-90380/

As some of you know, we pulled the stock motor and transmission out of our JK for the 5.7L conversion. This being said, we would like to sell the take off parts to forum members.

The motor and 6 speed have almost exactly 12,000miles on them.

Prices are as follows:

$750.00 for the motor

If I was closer to you I would pick that up in a sec! But shipping would kill me. Great to see you making an effort to help fellow Jeepers
Old 10-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by psykar
My jeep is a 2009 X with around 9000km. I was driving in a trail which I passed many times in the summer without any issues.
Miscalculation: higher water level due to the fall rain & reverse sens I usually take.
My hood got submerged underwater by about an inch, I give it gas and the motor dies.
I try to restart before the the intake gets filled with water, Bang. not good.
I decide to put it in 1st gear and get the jeep out of the water using power from the starter.

2 Days later, I now have a 1 in² piece of the engine block in my hand. Needless to say, that bang did damage.

I now need a new engine.

options:

1. I install a 10K engine from a salvaged vehicle, swallow-up my failed attempt and put 4K$ on the table.

2. I call my insurance company, find a nice story to tell pay the 1k deductible and wait a month or two for them to shuffle paperwork.

3. Go to the dealership and make an idiot out of myself.

Anyone with 1st hand experience could comment?
PM in your inbox. Hope we can help you out.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there's some straight up good people there
Old 10-21-2009, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

"It's a Jeep Thing!"

Glad to see the help, this is SO what being a Jeeper is all about.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hrmm... I'd report it to the insurance company and tell them what actually happened. It's worth a shot even if they turn you down.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Super Freak

No first hand experience here, but I've read many other threads that were along the lines of "damn, I'm lucky... insurance covered my hydrolock".

Going to have trouble getting it covered under warranty IMO as the manual specifically states how deep of water you can go through and you didn't exactly follow the rules, LOL.

I'd try both options before footing the bill myself though...
Old 10-21-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why pay for something that insurance will cover? There have been plenty of members do the same thing, and insurance covers it everytime. Don't you pay your insurance premiums? Then you are already paying for it.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by redrockin7
No first hand experience here, but I've read many other threads that were along the lines of "damn, I'm lucky... insurance covered my hydrolock". ...
He's got a $1K deductible. And it seems he has the wherewithal to do an engine install himself. With the price we've seen on one engine (and not knowing what the MBRP PM might offer), I'd do the work myself before making a claim against insurance.

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked... now what?