Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I can't remove the 4wd shifter knob

Old 09-03-2010, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my 4wd knob for the Drake off-road knob today. The shift knob on the 2010's appears to be slightly different then the older 07-08's.

1. Stick a flathead screw driver between the top medallion and the rubber sleeve. Pop off the top. Remove small round metal clip with the screw driver.
2. Secure a pair of large vice grips around the shift knob.
3. Use rubber mallet to hammer up the vice grips and twist at the same time.
4. Swear a couple times and it will eventually come off.
5. Attach new knob.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default I tried everything and FINALLY got the knob figured out!

Pop off bottom & top part of 4wd knob by taking something flat and stable (a pocket knife in my case) and go around the whole perimeter of the top & bottom until you are able to pop it off, showing you the inside of the shift knob. Then you will see a silver metal piece in the middle, take a knife or screw driver and get under it and pop it off (don't have your face right on it because it will pop off with some momentum and hit you in the face). Then very easily, without effort, the knob will come off. Hope I was able to help some people and save them all of the time and effort and blood blisters that I got from just trying to pull it straight off as suggested in others threads/ forums.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

agree with putting it in neutral or 4low and pull. I usually while pulling try twisting clockwise and ccw just back and forth. if this is your first time it will get easier after you get it off this first time
Old 09-08-2013, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

I got new shift knobs and I just hammered a screwdriver right throu the top and it came right off. But I didn't care about my factory ones.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a cresent wrench and a hammer get both of mine off. The transmission one was easy the transfer case knob wanted to fight tho.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rymax101
agree with putting it in neutral or 4low and pull. I usually while pulling try twisting clockwise and ccw just back and forth. if this is your first time it will get easier after you get it off this first time
Yes.

Shift to 4-lo. Straddle the console. Bigger dudes, be careful not to SIT on the console. Pull with both hands, like you're doing a squat. Use the power from your legs, not your back or arms. Straight off, and POP. If you use your weight right, you won't go flying backward, or hit yourself in the head.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
I used a cresent wrench and a hammer get both of mine off. The transmission one was easy the transfer case knob wanted to fight tho.
This is how I've removed them a couple times. Good to go.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2013 JKU with an auto trans. I want to remove my trans shifter knob. How can I do it..?? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by usmcjk
I have a 2013 JKU with an auto trans. I want to remove my trans shifter knob. How can I do it..?? Thanks in advance.
On mine, I took a small flat screwdriver and popped off the chrome piece on top, then separated the bottom chrome piece as well. After this the black part pulle doff very easy, then I took at the pieces and snapped them back together in case I ever want to go back to stock.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
On mine, I took a small flat screwdriver and popped off the chrome piece on top, then separated the bottom chrome piece as well. After this the black part pulle doff very easy, then I took at the pieces and snapped them back together in case I ever want to go back to stock.
Thank you..!

Quick Reply: I can't remove the 4wd shifter knob