Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I have a brake question

Old 07-24-2014, 03:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by airforce26yrs
If I hit the pedal hard and the ABS does not engage then it still goes almost to the floor. When the ABS engages yes the pedal is harder and it pulses but that is because the ABS is pumping pressure to the different wheels as necessary. My Ram is firm at all times so I still call BS. How many other people have other vehicles that have a firm pedal? Please post.
this is not normal, I would take it to a dealer/reputable brake service and see what they find. they might even diagnose for free (just make sure they are reputable)
Old 07-24-2014, 03:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
this is not normal, I would take it to a dealer/reputable brake service and see what they find. they might even diagnose for free (just make sure they are reputable)
Agreed, not normal. Had it to the dealer where I bought it (really do trust them) and they said normal. I went originally because my pedal was spongy and once it almost had no stopping power when I applied the brakes (pedal had no pressure, went to the floor, had to pump them to get pressure). They looked at it and said my rear pads were worn (which they were) and this would cause the spongy pedal. Had them change the pads and bleed the brakes (which they really did not want to do) and pedal is still spongy. I was polite but told them they were full of it about the bad pads causing spongy brakes (only way this will happen is if the fluid is low and air gets into the system). I am going to change the master cylinder myself and do a good pressure bleed and see what happens (when I get around to it).
Old 07-24-2014, 03:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by airforce26yrs
Agreed, not normal. Had it to the dealer where I bought it (really do trust them) and they said normal. I went originally because my pedal was spongy and once it almost had no stopping power when I applied the brakes (pedal had no pressure, went to the floor, had to pump them to get pressure). They looked at it and said my rear pads were worn (which they were) and this would cause the spongy pedal. Had them change the pads and bleed the brakes (which they really did not want to do) and pedal is still spongy. I was polite but told them they were full of it about the bad pads causing spongy brakes (only way this will happen is if the fluid is low and air gets into the system). I am going to change the master cylinder myself and do a good pressure bleed and see what happens (when I get around to it).
thats a good idea, if the pads are good and its all bled, i would want to check my master cylander for sure, and ya, brakes need to be responsive, or else who knows when theyll fail on ya, very scarey stuff. let us know how the master cylander works out, hopefully its a 98-100% fix.

Quick Reply: I have a brake question