JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   I smell antifreeze!! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/i-smell-antifreeze-321442/)

shamisc 05-08-2015 08:47 AM

I smell antifreeze!!

I've been smelling antifreeze for a couple of weeks now on my 2014 JKUS. No signs of leaks! Has anyone else experienced this?

jksteve2013 05-08-2015 09:28 AM

my 2013 does this.

still have not found the leak. dealer doesnt care lol.

Earth Siege 05-08-2015 11:13 AM

Get under jeep and look at front of motor under the water pump. Chances are the leak is there or in that general area.

Dodge4me 05-08-2015 11:22 AM

Started noticing it a couple months ago too from the outside at the front. I have not been able to find any evidence if a leak nor has my coolant level gone down. 2014 with 16000 miles on it.

rob_engineer 05-08-2015 03:58 PM

One time I had a 1986 mustang. It developed a tiny pinhole in the heater core. The hole was so small that what came out was sort of atomized. It didn't leave a puddle. I would get a super fine fog condensing on the inside of my windshield. I drove a few weeks with a roll of paper towels in the passenger seat until I could afford to fix it. The carpet never got wet. Just the superfine mist.

Huntphreak 05-08-2015 04:42 PM

Feel around the carpet on the passenger side up under dash. The heater core is in that general area and if it is leaking it will make your carpet wet and you will smell it.

Unfortunately you have to pull the entirdash to change the heater core.

BUT for a temp fix just route the coolant back into the motor. I did this until winter, as you will not have any heat.

sea bass 05-08-2015 05:17 PM

My ’14 too! Just noticed this a few days ago...didn't check water pump yet

MD GP 05-08-2015 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by shamisc (Post 4096678)
I've been smelling antifreeze for a couple of weeks now on my 2014 JKUS. No signs of leaks! Has anyone else experienced this?

Hello,
I had a similar issue on my 2012 for almost a whole year. I never saw any dripping, but I slowly lost fluid. Finally, I parked it one day after a long climb and then came back while it was still hot. I could see it dripping. It was coming from what was, I believe, the plastic housing of the temperature sensor. It's located on the front of the engine to the right of midline (looking from front to back). It was easily replaced under warranty. I just looked for the paperwork but couldn't find it nor the part number. Might not be *your* problem, but probably worth taking a look at.

Kellen 05-08-2015 09:06 PM

I had a similar issue with my 08. I couldn't find and evidence of a leak anywhere but I would smell it and on cold mornings I would see occasional puffs of steam(?) when at a light or stop sign. Never could find it.

sea bass 05-08-2015 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by MD GP (Post 4096883)
Hello, I had a similar issue on my 2012 for almost a whole year. I never saw any dripping, but I slowly lost fluid. Finally, I parked it one day after a long climb and then came back while it was still hot. I could see it dripping. It was coming from what was, I believe, the plastic housing of the temperature sensor. It's located on the front of the engine to the right of midline (looking from front to back). It was easily replaced under warranty. I just looked for the paperwork but couldn't find it nor the part number. Might not be *your* problem, but probably worth taking a look at.

T-stat???