Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

IMPROPER transfer case shifting

Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default IMPROPER transfer case shifting

There is constant complaining about the shifter for 4WD lo/hi coming loose or breaking. If shifted incorrectly the shifter cable will pop off or the end will come unsnapped from the shifter or transfer case. The proper way to shift into 4WD LO is to slow to a BARELY MOVING ROLL, put the tranny in NEUTRAL, let off the gas and BRISKLY pull the shifter down into 4LO. The purpose of the roll is to take the torque load off of the gears in the transfer case, enabling it to be shifted easily without causing damage to the unit. The cable is designed to fail if the Transfer case is shifted iincorrectly. After a few shifts you will learn the ''sweet spot'' and the shift will be accomplished with nary a grind. Attempting to shift without the vehicle rolling slightly and foot off the gas creating ''slack'' in the driveline will result in a broken or detached cable, sooner or later. Usually sooner. A lot of grinding when shifting into 4 LO doesn't mean there is a defect in your transfer case or cable, they are trying to tell you your shifting method needs finessing. I've got 50,000 miles on my JK, shifted into 4WD frequently with no problems. Try this advice, it really does work. It's right out of the owner's manual.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It says in the owners manual your cable will fall off if shifted incorrectly ??
Old 08-21-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do agree, it has a lot to do with operator error i think. Even if you are stopped you can feel it roll into gear. If it's "firm" before engaging you can roll (literally an inch) and it will fall in. All with some finesse!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

I haven't broken mine yet. I think heat as a lot to do with the clip breaking even when one is careful.

Shifting my JK t-case appears to be exactly the same as my XJ and MJ were.
When I had those vehicles, I didn't have the benefit of an internet forum, so I didn't hear if the shift linkage would break off like the JK seems to.
Was that a problem on the XJ/MJ?

The JK cable is designed to fail? Probably, but I bet it wasn't on purpose.

As soon as Novak Adaptors markets their JK t-case cable, I'm getting one.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-21-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
It says in the owners manual your cable will fall off if shifted incorrectly ??
No. Sorry I do not post for debate. This is MY personal observation, backed up by 15 years of Jeep ownership and 35 years of professional repair experience. Sometimes there are unpleasant results from not studying the manual's advice, no matter how low key or vague it may seem. The cable WILL give before damage can be done to the transfer case. A very well thought out design, after replacing the cable an owner will probably study his shifting method a little closer....
Old 08-21-2010, 07:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At first my Tcase was stiff, set the ebrake start the jk, take it out of park to neutral
rock the auto from neutral to rev then to drive back to neutral while shifting the Tcase
that worked for me smooth as silk good luck

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 08-21-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought along the same lines as the OP (that incorrect shifting was the sole cause of clip breakage, the plastic clip itself being a cleverly engineered "weak link" in the shifter assembly designed to avoid the damage of other components) until my clip fell off & the cable came loose just by driving along on the beach & on sandy trails.

Being on a remote sand island without any mechanical facilities I was paranoid about mechanical failure so even though I shifted into 4Hi on the barge on the way over & left it there for the week, I still got under the JK every morning to check that everything on the underside including the clip was where it should be.

And sure enough one morning the clip was gone & the cable was hanging loose, even though I hadn't gone near the shifter for a week. Lucky I took the advice of others on this forum & carry a bag of zip ties in the glovebox at all times.

Last edited by JKlad; 08-21-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Always let mine roll while shifting into 4lo and it's smooth as astroglide. After watching my brother in law try to slam the shifter of my sisters brand new rubi into 4lo repeatedly with his foot on the brake while i watched in horror from my jeep...I would put money on 75% of the cable failures happen as a result of user error while trying to shift into 4 low. Probably not that high of a percentage on this forum though.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

If my experience today means anything here is what happened: I checked that everything was working properly at home, I drove about 40 miles on pavement to get to the trail, went to shift into 4h at the trailhead and found the cable off and the white plastic bushing gone.

Over time the plastic bushing (which sits inches from the exhaust) gets weakened from the heat and simple road vibrations will cause it to crack and fail.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slasmith
Over time the plastic bushing (which sits inches from the exhaust) gets weakened from the heat and simple road vibrations will cause it to crack and fail.
Agreed, it's a plastic pos, I agree partially with tinman, it's designed to fail, which it does that often.

Quick Reply: IMPROPER transfer case shifting