Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Issue with Radio when using Auxillary

Old 03-20-2014, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with Radio when using Auxillary

I've had my JK since August 2013 and mostly listen to my iPod through the Auxillary port. Just this past weekend I had the top down and was listening though the Aux again. I plug the iPod in, start the music, then noticed none of the buttons worked on the radio. I tried changing the volume, turning it off, switching to AM/FM - NOTHING worked. I even shut the Jeep off and it still didn't work when I started it back up. I might add that my music was playing at the volume set before all functions stopped working. As I started driving, I noticed the radio screen display the number 1 then after a couple minutes it changed to 2 and so on. It happened a couple times after that too. Has anyone else had this issue? I might install an iPod adapter because I often have an issue with music coming out of either the left or right speakers instead of both at the same time. Until then, I would love to know what's going on.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default yep

normal behavior you use the mp3 player to set volumes and its not as loud as the radio volume so be aware when changing back to the radio station from your mp3 its a very drastic differance
Old 03-20-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2 thoughts. I only have a basic 1 cd am fm in my 08 but if you have a fancier one, does it have the faster you go the louder it gets radio that some newer vehicles have? It's designed to adjust for road noise. Also when you shut off the key and then restart, the radio stays on until you open the door or until 5 or so minutes pass. If you have the auto volume feature, it can be disabled in the menu area of the radio.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
2 thoughts. I only have a basic 1 cd am fm in my 08 but if you have a fancier one, does it have the faster you go the louder it gets radio that some newer vehicles have? It's designed to adjust for road noise. Also when you shut off the key and then restart, the radio stays on until you open the door or until 5 or so minutes pass. If you have the auto volume feature, it can be disabled in the menu area of the radio.
I think I do have that function. But I may not have explained my issue well enough. I lost all function of my radio when I had it in Auxillary mode. None of the buttons work - not even to switch it back to AM/FM. This has never happened before. Usually I am able to change the volume or turn it off if I need to. For some reason I was not able to even turn off the radio without turning off my Jeep and taking the key out of the ignition.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default oh never had that happen on mine

so by plugging into aux it shuts your radio off and cant be used until you shut jeep off and restart ? sounds like its shorting something out almost? think id try it on a dealers jeep in the parking lot to see if its normal or a faulty radio
Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
so by plugging into aux it shuts your radio off and cant be used until you shut jeep off and restart ? sounds like its shorting something out almost? think id try it on a dealers jeep in the parking lot to see if its normal or a faulty radio
Basically, yes. Doesn't seem like anyone has had this issue so you could be right about it being faulty.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something is def. wrong there. Maybe a short circuit? The only weird thing mine does is if it is plugged in and the album ends it makes a high pitched noise when no music is playing. As soon as I put on another song the high pitched noise goes away. Also happens when switching between songs. Tried many diff cables and MP3 players. and happens with all of them.

Have you tried simply using a different aux. cable? In my tacoma my aux. cable had a short in it and was causing my tacoma to do really weird things. Took forever to diagnose because I never knew a tiny cord could have caused all those problems.

Last edited by Incawrangler; 03-21-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Incawrangler
Something is def. wrong there. Maybe a short circuit? The only weird thing mine does is if it is plugged in and the album ends it makes a high pitched noise when no music is playing. As soon as I put on another song the high pitched noise goes away. Also happens when switching between songs. Tried many diff cables and MP3 players. and happens with all of them.

Have you tried simply using a different aux. cable? In my tacoma my aux. cable had a short in it and was causing my tacoma to do really weird things. Took forever to diagnose because I never knew a tiny cord could have caused all those problems.
I never even considered that an aux could short. I'll have to try that one. I had the top off in Arizona and it was fairly hot so that definitely makes sense. Thanks for the intel!

Quick Reply: Issue with Radio when using Auxillary