Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jacked up zipper

Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacked up zipper

In my infinite wisdom I forced the zipper on my rear window past a spot that it was stuck on and now I can't unzip past this spot. It looks like the teeth are just misaligned. I've tried everything I can think of. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I can post a picture of the spot once I get home, if it'll help.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

Ended up breaking mine,, now I run no rear window. I thought about mabey a paperclip and trying to gey the teeth lined up but never actually tried it
Old 03-18-2013, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I tried using a fine point precision screw driver, but I was afraid that I was going to separate the zipper and not be able to get it closed again.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The teeth got misaligned on mine once. I was able to run the zippers the other way and remove the window. Not sure which direction you got stuck in, so I don't know if that's applicable to you.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've tried both sides of the zipper too. I can't get anything past that spot. I've pulled so hard that I was afraid I was going to separate the zipper from the soft top.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The factory zippers are not that great, after years of use and add some road salt and they're toast. You can either try and pry it open and put the pulls back on and get it to work, or get it closed so it's manageable until you can take it to an upholstery or canvas shop (boat canvas would work too) and they can replace the rear zipper. I'm going to replace my rear zipper with two YKK zippers later this spring to make the rear window more easily manageable..
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am planning on replacing the whole thing with the Trektop NX, but don't have to money for it right now. I just want to be able to use the window until then.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 4x4Play
In my infinite wisdom I forced the zipper on my rear window past a spot that it was stuck on and now I can't unzip past this spot. It looks like the teeth are just misaligned. I've tried everything I can think of. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I can post a picture of the spot once I get home, if it'll help.
As has already been posted, you can pry the pull open and realign the teeth. However, if your lucky, you might be able to pull it past the bad spot after applying some lube. I use SS2000 silicone grease that I ordered from Silblade. Occasional application of this or a similar lube can make a huge difference.
Best regards,
Dave

P.S. Also, if you just want to patch a gap in the zipper for temporary use, simply use a heavy duty thread and needle with a simple stitch through the cloth part of the zipper along the length of the gap, tying off firmly on each end.

Last edited by MD GP; 03-18-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I finally got it off of there. I don't know why I didn't think before to take the little metal clamps off the end of the zipper so that I could just pull it off the end and then the whole zipper just pulls apart.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4Play
I finally got it off of there. I don't know why I didn't think before to take the little metal clamps off the end of the zipper so that I could just pull it off the end and then the whole zipper just pulls apart.
Did the same thing with mine, its toast now

Quick Reply: Jacked up zipper