Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep not starting

Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep not starting

It's Happend 3 times car won't start but if I move it out park back into it it starts right up. Something with the shift??? Any suggestions it's an auto
Old 08-25-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Maybe it's being stubborn because you called it a car. Perhaps it wasn't fully in park to start with and when you moved it out and back in you corrected the issue.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

I occasionally have the same problem, and there are other members on here with similar threads. There is a sensor in the transmission that has a history of being faulty. Members have said that the dealer ought to be able to connect to the ECU and diagnose the issue; I on the other hand have been told (by the dealer--probably can only trust em as far as i could throw em) that they have to be able to mimic the problem otherwise they wont replace the sensor, and im out $100 (my deductable, currently still under warranty)
Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

There is also a position sensor in the shifter if I m not mistaken. It will sometimes get loose and not make contact.

Also, you should be able to start in neutral as well.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by h8roadz
There is also a position sensor in the shifter if I m not mistaken. It will sometimes get loose and not make contact.

Also, you should be able to start in neutral as well.
No sensor in the shifter.
The sensor is called Transmission Range sensor, and it's the one 951JEEP mentioned.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Car jeep been a rough Saturday

Quick Reply: Jeep not starting