Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

A jeep thing? (Soft Top)

Old 04-02-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A jeep thing? (Soft Top)

I got my jeep in October so I was able to take it down only once before the winter. I had some problems back then but I didn't think too much about it. But today I was having a very hard time putting the rear window in. I know the cool weather may play a part in this, but I remember it being difficult back in the fall too. Today, I had to stand on the bumper to get enough force to zip it in.

How do I get rid of the waviness on the window. Also, on the right sail panel (i think that is what is it called) you can sort of see that it is punched in (the pic doesn't show it well) . I took out the plastic panel inside and it is deformed. Sort of annoying. Could these be the reasons it is so difficult to zip up.

The driver-side window is also difficult to zip. It is also wavy.
Any Ideas.

One more thing. My back window is now terribly scratched up. I know you can't prevent it, but is there something I can apply to it to get rid of scratches.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

my soft top rear window has alot of trouble with the zipper. there is stuff u can put on it lik a lube and it zips better, havent found that however. ill post up if i find anything
Old 04-02-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

my soft top window ziiper broke off so the dealership ordered me a new one
Old 04-02-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got a hard top. Just putting a little humor on it. Sorry you softtop guys are having so much trouble. That would be maddening. GOOD LUCK.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

The entire top will fit tighter in cold weather. If you get a nice sunny day leave the jeep parked in the sun and you'll notice the difference. It expands quite a bit in the sun. It is also easier on the seams when you put it up warm. When I replaced my first soft top I did it in the dead of a NE winter and had to heat my garage with kerosene heater to get the stupid thing on. The sun on the rear window will flatten it too.

There are a couple of threads on here of methods to prevent the scratches. I think they use large towels between the windows when they roll them to store them. Check those out... they'll be of help to you. Also don't store the windows long wet. That will make them foggy and that is almost impossible to remove. The tops that I have had fail either tore seams or ended up wearing through the cloth in areas that get folded often. Hope that helps...

I'm not sure about the plastic piece without a pic.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by greenmachine07
my soft top rear window has alot of trouble with the zipper. there is stuff u can put on it lik a lube and it zips better, havent found that however. ill post up if i find anything

This is what you want, get it at your dealer or at justforjeeps.com...makes your zippers work like butter...

Old 04-02-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your stuck and want something handy use soap,, like a bar of ivory,, rub on the teeth,, it will lube it up and after a couple uses it will be gone. Does no damage at all..
Steve
Old 04-02-2008, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Famof5Jeep
The sun on the rear window will flatten it too.

It doesn't, or at least not on mine. Today was above 85* outside and sunny and it was still there, a little less but still there. I have the exact same wave in the exact same spot on my soft top rear window. If someone does have a way to fix this, I would love to hear it. Heat gun maybe?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the responses. Lubing it up should definitely help. I don't think it will solve it though. Basically, the zippers don't line up perfectly; some spots they get too close and other spots too far. Well, I guess its a jeep thing.....
Old 04-04-2008, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

Mine had a hard time zipping the first few times, takes a bit of pulling. I didn't use the lube though so good luck!

Quick Reply: A jeep thing? (Soft Top)