Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JEEP Won't Start -- It Clicks -- Intermittent at first -- Now almost constant

Old 07-15-2013, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem stating Oct 2011 ... Had the starter replaced 5 times by the dealer without solving the problem.

They refused to believe it was a ground problem. I finally ran a ground wire from the battery to the alternator in July 2012 ... Immediately fixed the problem.

Then it happened again last week. So I cleaned the ground wire ends and problem went away.

I think I'm also going to get some dielectric grease and put it on every ground I can find in the engine bay. I suspect that I'm getting some corrosion building up at the ground points because of the current going thru them ... This used to be a real problem with my 1971 MGB until I did that...although you wouldn't think that issue would occur with modern wiring materials.

Last edited by nickcoleman; 07-15-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for this problem. I haven't been on in a while and searched the wrong part of the forum before posting. Good info on here that I plan to share with my dealer that is doing nothing to diagnose the actual cause.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

08 JKU here, same intermittent problem. In the past I have shifted it into neutral and started it no problem... I would love to find the REAL problem... My quest to find the culprit seems to say that range selector switch (that new-fangled neutral safety switch I guess...) But I'm not willing to shop it... Yet.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 PM
JK Freak

Put it in neutral, it starts every time.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Default Me, Too...

'08 JKU.

Drove south from Moab into the White Mountains in Arizona today. Stopped the Jeep in the pines, and "click" when I went to restart it.

Not a happy feeling.

Bumped the shifter - reflex, checking to see if its in Park - and it lit right up.

I'll check the grounds.

Thank you, guys.
The following users liked this post:
Montego (09-10-2023)
Old 08-07-2013, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Default Could be the range switch in the transmission (or neutral safety switch)

I have an 07 with 90,000 miles. At about 50,000 miles I had the exact same problem you describe. Took it to my dealer and they kept it a week or so and of course it started right up every time they tried it. Then they called and said they felt like it was the starter and replace it. After a few days, same problem again. I researched this forum and found what many people on this thread are saying, could be the switch in the transmission. I printed out the forum, took it to the dealer and they went into the transmission and fixed the problem. It was the switch (some call it the neutral safety) in the transmission. 40,000 miles later it has started every time. Its a sad day when the dealer doesn't know what customers do. Thank goodness for this forum.
The following users liked this post:
Montego (09-10-2023)
Old 08-07-2013, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

I had my ground terminal on my battery corrode which wouldn't let it crank. Couldn't tell by looking but I pulled it off, cleaned it, and put dielectric grease on. No problems since
Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2
this happened when I was test driving my Jeep which is a used 08 jk x.

The battery gave out on us a week ago and I installed the highly recommended DieHard platinum... Now the crank 1/4 turn and click once and no start. It freaked my wife out who is driving the JK a lot more now... Freaked her out to the point she cried. I was thinking a relay issue but will have her try the tranny tweaks and report back. Does anybody know what the cost is to have the Range Sensor replaced?
YES! Mine did not start doing this until after I had the battery replaced last summer.

Today was a new recored - 3 times in the same day! It is beyond frustrating!

Last edited by amt97; 08-07-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Unclebuck
I have an 07 with 90,000 miles. At about 50,000 miles I had the exact same problem you describe. Took it to my dealer and they kept it a week or so and of course it started right up every time they tried it. Then they called and said they felt like it was the starter and replace it. After a few days, same problem again. I researched this forum and found what many people on this thread are saying, could be the switch in the transmission. I printed out the forum, took it to the dealer and they went into the transmission and fixed the problem. It was the switch (some call it the neutral safety) in the transmission. 40,000 miles later it has started every time. Its a sad day when the dealer doesn't know what customers do. Thank goodness for this forum.
YES -- Dealer recommended I replace starter too ... Has done it about 10x since. Today was 3 starts in a row. It will probably do it tomorrow when I go to leave for work. I am printing out this thread and bringing it with me.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the problem. Added heavy stranded wire from neg battery terminal to firewall ground lug and to alternator bracket. Fine for 2 years then did it again. Loosened all engine bay inner fender ground nuts and retightened, all ok again. Replaced the battery at 3 year mark as many members reported OEM batteries failing in 2-4 years. There is no neutral safety switch per se but a range sensing device in the transmission. Ronjenx explained it to me. As I read these click no start threads, there seems to be many reasons for the problem. Unfortunately the dealerships dont have a clue and just throw parts at it. 5 starters??? Start with grounds and connections then continue to the other suggested areas. Let us know what finally fixes it although waiting until you are sure on an intermittent problem can be nerve wracking.

Quick Reply: JEEP Won't Start -- It Clicks -- Intermittent at first -- Now almost constant