Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep won't start just clicks and windshield wipers, which are off, wipe after attempt

Old 07-15-2016, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep won't start just clicks and windshield wipers, which are off, wipe after attempt

2007 JK, six speed manual, won't start. Motor moves approximately 1/4 inch then clicks. Windshield wipers, which are off, then wipe twice. Battery, Optima Red Top, tests good. Starter and selinoid are new. Starter relay is new. I have installed a new/extra ground wire to alternator bracket. I have cleaned and checked every connection in the starting system. Has anyone had this problem? It was intermittent at first but is now almost constant. I know this is a problem with automatic transmission range sensor but mine is a manual. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by umsaint
2007 JK, six speed manual, won't start. Motor moves approximately 1/4 inch then clicks. Windshield wipers, which are off, then wipe twice. Battery, Optima Red Top, tests good. Starter and selinoid are new. Starter relay is new. I have installed a new/extra ground wire to alternator bracket. I have cleaned and checked every connection in the starting system. Has anyone had this problem? It was intermittent at first but is now almost constant. I know this is a problem with automatic transmission range sensor but mine is a manual. Any help is greatly appreciated!
How heavy (what gauge wire) is the new ground wire you installed. ??
Old 07-15-2016, 02:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check your battery connections. Make sure you don't have any wires under the nut closest to the battery terminal.

If not that, have the battery load tested.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edit: deleted
Old 07-16-2016, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

I'm having this problem too. It is totally random. I have too mess with the connections to get my jeep started back up. It's a 2011 6 speed. My windshield wipers also start going off. But they only go about halfway up then stop. Also when I'm driving I get my engine too start cutting power too it, it sounds like it's just getting bogged down. I don't know what it is, but I need to get it fixed. I'm deciding if I want to take it too jeep or not
Old 07-16-2016, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
How heavy (what gauge wire) is the new ground wire you installed. ??
Used six gauge battery cable 4'.
All battery connections are good. (Disconnected, cleaned, and then reconnected tightly) same for all ground wires, including ground wire on engine block.

Battery was load tested three times. Passed with flying colors each time.

New starter and selinoid are new and have been bench tested.

Starter relay is also new. I have also traced wires back from starter to make sure not losing power to ground.

I am stumped!

I am thinking it is electronic ignition switch, the TIPM or some other computer component but I don't know how to test those! I am thinking computer component due to wipers coming on even though they are off.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-16-2016, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RamseyPantaleon
I'm having this problem too. It is totally random. I have too mess with the connections to get my jeep started back up. It's a 2011 6 speed. My windshield wipers also start going off. But they only go about halfway up then stop. Also when I'm driving I get my engine too start cutting power too it, it sounds like it's just getting bogged down. I don't know what it is, but I need to get it fixed. I'm deciding if I want to take it too jeep or not
Mine started out random/intermittent about once a month, then once a week, once a day, until now it will only crank rarely! Every third time I attempt to start it clicks three or four times them wipers come on for two wipes. Weird.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

I just ran diagnostic codes on my superchip flashpac and got one code B219F IOD fuse blown. I replaced fuse and still doing same thing and still throwing the same code even after codes cleared.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IOD fuse was blown? You may want to check the IOD draw with an ammeter.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Problem Solved!!!

When having a battery tested three times at two different places, make sure they set the tester for a spiral cell battery if that is what you have! I received three false good tests, two from oreilly's one from autozone both of which sell Optima batteries and should know better. I had battery tested one more time and after tester was properly set, battery tested bad. Replaced battery and Jeep fired right off!

Lesson learned always watch the test yourself, including set up, or buy a tester!

Thanks to all those that replied!

Quick Reply: Jeep won't start just clicks and windshield wipers, which are off, wipe after attempt