Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep Wrangler issues - at wit's end

Old 05-17-2018, 03:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Wrangler issues - at wit's end

Hey fellow Jeep lovers. I am kind of in a bind, and any help/advice would be appreciated. My wife has a 2013 Jeep Unlimited Sahara, 3.6l V6. Its given no issues till 6 weeks ago. When the vehicle is warm, and she switches it off to go shopping, pick up kids etc. it fails to start on her return. The motor turns over fine but doesn't fire up. If you leave the vehicle for 20-30 minutes and try to start it, it fires up. When the Wrangler is running, its running smoothly, no jerking, no backfire. It starts normally when cold. When its warm and doesn't start the ETC light comes on on the dash.

First dealership I took it to said it could be relays which need to be replaced for ETC. But they couldn't confirm this was the issue so I was hesitant to pay for this if they could not confirm it would solve the issue.

I took a video of the problem at the second dealership where they initially said there was nothing wrong with the vehicle as they could not find any faults on their diagnostics. Once they saw the video, they said the switch box was faulty and fitted an external fuel pump relay to the vehicle. This is causing the vehicle to overheat when going uphill at 70mph. And it didn't stop the issue of the car not starting when warm. I then took it back to same dealership who said they would escalate fault to Head Office by issuing an "E Ticket", but up until now I have not heard from them so I collected the vehicle this morning as I lost all faith and confidence in Jeep here in South Africa.

Have any of you guys out there had similar issues or have any idea of what I need to do to get the Jeep reliable again.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle
Old 05-17-2018, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

The 1st thing I would suggest is getting a good OBD2 diag scanner. I highly recommend the BlueDriver scanner. It will give you all the info a dealership can get. You said the light came on which means there is a code stored.

My best guess without the codes would be that your throttle body needs to be cleaned.

Quick Reply: Jeep Wrangler issues - at wit's end