Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jk 3.8 stalls out at higher rpm???

Old 08-13-2016, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Jk 3.8 stalls out at higher rpm???

Ok I went and test drove an 08 wrangler x hardtop auto today that I'm looking to buy. . The motor did not smoke when started and sounded very smooth. When I was driving it once it hit around 3500 to 4000 rpm it would just stall. Like it wouldn't Rev any higher. I would punch the throttle around 60 mph and make it shift to second and it would just set there and not accelerate until I let off and it shifted down to 3rd and lower rpm. Does anyone know what the problem might be? She did say she had never changed the spark plugs or wires and it has 202k miles. It also has check engine light on. Thanks again
Old 08-13-2016, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a lot of miles for a 3.8 engine. Hard to say but off hand I would check fuel filter/pump then change plugs, wires, etc. The check engine light code may indicate what the problem is.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea I know it's a lot of miles on the 3.8. Only reason I'm considering it is I can buy it for $4000. She said that it just started using alot of oil all of a sudden in the last few thousand miles. She has the oil changed to a heavier weight and added some lucas and the oil consumption went down some. I'm thinking it is the spark plugs or wires or it might just be a bad 02 sensor throwing the computer off
Old 08-13-2016, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is cheap. If it was otherwise in good shape I'd be tempted.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cb4017
That is cheap. If it was otherwise in good shape I'd be tempted.
Yea I know it's cheap. I've never seen any jk under 9 grand no matter how many miles it has. This one is rhd as it was used for a postal route. It is in great shape considering the miles just wish I knew why wants to stall/Rev very slowly when it reaches 3500 and up rpm. Does rhd make the value any less? All of the used ones I've seen are just as high as the left hand drive jeeps

Quick Reply: Jk 3.8 stalls out at higher rpm???