Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JK HardTop Insurance question

Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFool
Wise post is wise! I'd do that! Those slant back hard tops are nice!
yeah but they kill the actual storage space in the back you previously used to have.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sukemecuke
yeah but they kill the actual storage space in the back you previously used to have.
You will only lost the small area above the roll cage. I doubt you will even notice it. They are bad ass. You could probably even sell the damaged hardtop for 700-1000.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I filled a 8" long crack in my hardtop with 3M epoxy. Worked great, been fixed for 3 years and you can barely see it.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
You will only lost the small area above the roll cage. I doubt you will even notice it. They are bad ass. You could probably even sell the damaged hardtop for 700-1000.
x2 on that. Use the money insurance gives you to get a soft top that fits your needs, and sell the slightly damaged, does not leak, still usable hard top and use that money for more mods. I am pretty sure it would not be hard to get rid of that for at least 500 if not close to 1000 like wazoo said. Put that money towards a lift or something. Just my two pennies.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These tops are not traditional fiberglass constuction. They are SMC- sheet moulded compound. This fiberglass/resin sheet is made in flat sheets and then heated and pressed in dies to give it final shape. They don't repair well. Yeah you can patch one and if you are lucky it might hold, but if you remove the top yearly or do anything that will really flex your rig it WILL break back out. Turn it in to your insurance, they will replace it. My shop would never repair one of these and stand behind the repair- too much chance of failure down the road.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by largo
Swapping out a hardtop for a ragtop would not be my decision. They are damn nosiy and have crummy plastic windows, and leak. If you insist on running your rig with no top, then you should have bought a soft top to begin with. Just turn the thing over to the insurance company and get on with life.
not every guy that has a jeep is a jeep guy.....
Old 03-04-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wazooz2424

Couldn't disagree more, after a couple camping trips, there's no way I would give up any space inside the Jeep.

Plus IMO if you want a fastback, buy a Mustang.

Quick Reply: JK HardTop Insurance question