Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JK - Loose drive to rear wheels

Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK - Loose drive to rear wheels

Hi All,

I have experienced a strnge problem twice in my JK.

When driving in 2H on a soft sandy road, i suddenly loose drive to the rear wheels. I then ingage 4H move forward and back slightly, hear a knocking sound. Once this has happpened I can re-engage 2H and carry on.

Further issue is when in 4H on the soft sand and moving forward, I feel a jerking every 30 seconds or so.

The clutch was re-done by Jeep about a year ago, can these issues above be related to that possibly?

I dont have any knowledge about things like this so If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the information before I head to my dealership and get told in need a new gearbox or something

Many Thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 12:07 AM
JK Super Freak

ESP/BAS. I bet you have a flashing light when it happens.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:55 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion but its not that at all, its like the driveshaft has popped out and only re-ingages when i select 4H and move the car forward and backwards. you can hear a loud bang, like the rear driveshaft pops back in and then i get drive back to the rear wheels
Old 05-07-2012, 03:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because you get rear drive back after you shift the T-case into and out of 4-hi, it almost sounds like a transfer case problem. Is the t-case popping into nuetral from 2-hi?

It may sound strange, but have someone check your tranny mounts and T-case shift linkage, make sure they are not loose/broken.

Does not make sense to me that shifting to 4-hi would change anything if it was the clutch.

BTW, if you call your jeep a car, people might tease you.

Last edited by Yankee; 05-07-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JK2008ZA
Hi All,

When driving in 2H on a soft sandy road, i suddenly loose drive to the rear wheels. I then ingage 4H move forward and back slightly, hear a knocking sound. Once this has happpened I can re-engage 2H and carry on.
Do you mean you lose drive to the wheels, as if the t-case has jumped into neutral?

Look at the two cable case anchor points to see if they are securely fastened. There is one under the Jeep, and one in the console.
You can check the one underneath by having someone move the lever while you watch the outer cable case. It should not move.

Quick Reply: JK - Loose drive to rear wheels