Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JK Manual Transmission Automatic Throttle Control at 4 Lo Idle - No more stalling

Old 02-27-2010, 07:50 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JK Manual Transmission Automatic Throttle Control at 4 Lo Idle - No more stalling

This is another one of those, "maybe I'm an idiot" threads. I've searched around and haven't been able to find anything on this - so... here's my tip.

I haven't tested this on anything but my Rubicon, but here's what I've found. As long as you DO NOT touch the accelerator, it is very difficult to get the motor to stall. I'm convinced that the JK has an automatic throttle control built in. I do some pretty advanced rock crawling and only one time ever has the motor stalled, using this technique.

Here is how you can test it:
- On flat level ground
- In 1st gear, 4-Lo
- Pushing the brake hard
- No foot on the accelerator
- Let the clutch out and see if you can get it to stall.

Mine will not and the same works on the rocks. This provides for really good crawling and is about the most important thing that I have learned for crawling in the JK.

I've taught this to several others and staying off the accelerator is a very tough habit to brake. Make sure you don't touch it. As soon as you do, the engine will die.

Try it out and post up your results. I'll be interested to hear if this works on non-rubicon models. And will this work with an Atlas?

2/28 update. Well it's starting to sound like I'm not an idiot. If this thread has been helpful, please post up and keep it at the top. Again, this is about the best JK specific piece of information that I've found.

3/16 update. Looks like this works on the 3.21 t-case also. Still waiting for someone to test this with the atlas t-case, flashpaq, others... Will post updates here as people post results.

3/21 update. Looks like this works with the Superchips setup.

If you learned something here, post up to keep this at the top.

Last edited by Woods; 03-21-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When in idle condition there is a stall saver in the base maps, these can move spark, iac or electronic throttle, injector and all kinds of other things. When you are off the idle position it does not work anymore.

For what its worth I stall out my rubi quite a bit, as thats easier than busting stuff.

The start in 1st lo is a great feature.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:01 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by goldtr8
When in idle condition there is a stall saver in the base maps, these can move spark, iac or electronic throttle, injector and all kinds of other things. When you are off the idle position it does not work anymore.

For what its worth I stall out my rubi quite a bit, as thats easier than busting stuff.

The start in 1st lo is a great feature.
When you say stall - when you are using the accelerator or not? I stall mine too, but almost never when off the gas in 1st-Lo.

Last edited by Woods; 02-27-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Woods
When you say stall - when you are using the accelerator or not? I stall mine too, but almost never when off the gas.
I am usally in a higher gear not first and I am using the skinny pedal, I just wont overuse the skinny pedal. Lots of skinny pedal, plus gearing = lots of torque and spinning tires. This in turn can grenade stuff in the drivetrain. So when I stall it, I go to a lower gear and try to crawl thru.

Crawling in a Rubi in 4 lo with lockers on sometimes is like cheating compared to others who have to horse their rigs thru the trail.

It takes time to learn these techniques, but I have been lucky I wheeled when I was young and now when I have wheeled with a local club and a guys from Rubicon Owners Forum in Moab, I have had some great teachers and I know how to stay out of trouble. The goal is fun on the trails not breaking stuff.

Cheers
Old 02-27-2010, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Elecronic Throtle Works

Have numerous off road miles in CJ5's--had hand throttles on them--my 2007 Rubi Unlimited (55k miles) has never stalled, I read somewhere that in 4-lo the computer took control at idle, and it works perfect regardless of terrain--makes for easy off-roading--don't touch the throttle!!
Old 02-27-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

That must be typical of drive by wire with standard transmissions.
My '02 Golf diesel won't stall in idle. In fact, I can make it through all the gears into 5th, without ever touching the accelerator.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie

If u smash the brakes hard enough it will stall.... I stalled mine about 5 times dropping down a steep ledge....
Old 02-27-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

and I though I was the only one thinking this. Just brake and clutch, thats I wheel my JK. Very hard to stall like this. Feels like a have the same gear ratio as my old Jeep (4.56's + Atlas 4.3:1 and 35's) where as now Im runnng 5.13's in the axles and only a 2.73:1 low range (stock X transfercase) and 35's
Old 02-27-2010, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

While idling, no matter what gear range you are in, the computer keeps the throttle at 14% open and adjusts the spark advance, ect. as load demands - This is what you all are "seeing happen" My automatic does this, in 4hi - 4lo or even 2wd. Yes, a nice feature of our DBW(Drive by wire).
Old 02-27-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Junkie

Yep, found that out within the first time i got on the rocks with my rubicon. Rarely do i touch the throttle in 4-low

Quick Reply: JK Manual Transmission Automatic Throttle Control at 4 Lo Idle - No more stalling