Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JK mirror observations 07 vs 08

Old 01-19-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK mirror observations 07 vs 08

I don't know if anyone would ever need to use this info but (background) I messed my passenger mirror on my 07 X when I grazed a tree. Mirror broke and bottom part of top plastic cracked. Was lucky that a guy in NY broke the bottom plastic part on his 08 Rubi and sold it on ebay (great deal). Put it on today. Tried the easy way that you guys suggested (torx on bottom) and just swap top parts.
What I found:
07 has a larger "male" part that inserts into the bottom piece than the 08 (so I had to take it completely off the door and swap the bottom plastic piece).
I then found that the 08 metal bottom part under the plastic was a cast metal unpainted and already showing corrosion. Mine (07) was painted black (almost looked powdercoated) and in perfect shape.

Seems they cut a corner or 2 and made a smaller piece and no reason to paint something you'll never see. (Maybe a different "cheaper" supplier)

Just an FYI for any potential parts swap.

Quick Reply: JK mirror observations 07 vs 08