Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JK Oil Burning?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepmedic
I have that same mess. Let me know what happens....please PM me about it if possible.

Thanks
Will do

** EDIT*** - Crank seal was the issue for the oil leak! Will be fixed at the end of the day!

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 04-19-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Will do

** EDIT*** - Crank seal was the issue for the oil leak! Will be fixed at the end of the day!
Isn't the crank seal pretty hard to replace? I thought you had to pull the whole engine.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like it would be more like a 30 minutes job at worst. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYTDMwxw4Ds

Last edited by Dronac; 04-20-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Default 3 quarts low 5000 miles

Tittle says it all i went through 3 quarts in %k miles and Ironically I had the dealer change the oil last time 17.95 everything included. So why are these things going through so much oil. I have no drips, no overheating no obvious leaks, and no smell of burning oil. WTF? I don't get it but it doesn't seem right to me and I wonder if this is a sign of things to come? Is it warrantied? Is my engine going bye bye at 70 k miles? has anyone taken theirs to the dealer for warranty work? I have an 08 with 45000 miles and automatic. I haven't been off road in while. so what gives?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

it seems like these 3.8l engines chew through oil, I have a 2010 that used about 1/2 qt between changes. I said screw it and changed over to Amsoil 5w30 and their EA filter and no more oil consumption. My own personal opinion os that 5w20 is too thin and is leading to failures.
3 qt's sounds like an awful lot though.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've always filled up my empty 5 qt. jug and most of the 1 qt bottle after every oil change running 5w-20. For some reason some of these 3.8's are eating the oil and some are not.
I've still recently switched to M-1 extended per. 5w-30 because I just think that 5w-20 is like skeeter pee. 5w-30 isn't really that much thicker but I believe any amount of film strenght you can get is better, within certain limits of course.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
Tittle says it all i went through 3 quarts in %k miles and Ironically I had the dealer change the oil last time 17.95 everything included. So why are these things going through so much oil. I have no drips, no overheating no obvious leaks, and no smell of burning oil. WTF? I don't get it but it doesn't seem right to me and I wonder if this is a sign of things to come? Is it warrantied? Is my engine going bye bye at 70 k miles? has anyone taken theirs to the dealer for warranty work? I have an 08 with 45000 miles and automatic. I haven't been off road in while. so what gives?
Mine sounds just like yours. Mine is an 08 with about 46,000 miles. I too have no drips, smell or any other signs of leaking oil. I don't get it either I think we are just going to try the thicker oil like others have tried. My jeep also goes through about 3 quarts every 5000.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:47 AM
JK Freak

I posted this once before never got a explanation for it. Mine was one of those that was using a qt about every 1K miles using Mobile1, 5-20. At that point I thought what the hell no sense paying the price for premium oil. Switched to Dino oil same weight now it doesn't use a drop. Go figure I can't.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It hasn't been mentioned in a while on the (many) "where'd my oil go" threads but some reports came in of JK engines with the rings improperly installed.

There is something definitely wrong with JKs burning over 1 qt per 1000 mi.

Plenty of forum members report zero or very near zero oil consumption between drains.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

You guys should have your oil tested. It is only $25 and the information you get will let you know what is going on.

08 Used Oil analysis -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht=oil+testing

Blackstone Labs blackstone-labs.com/

They will send a free sample kit. You take the sample and send it in with payment. I think it cost me $22.50.

My engine and intake is stock. Readings can be all over the map in a new engine. Moly, calcium and zinc are oil additives. The lab believes the copper is from copper bushings wearing in (cam bearings?). Silicon can be dirt ingestion or crap from casting, seals, etc. Everything is going the right direction. My next sample should be better.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tuto
You guys should have your oil tested. It is only $25 and the information you get will let you know what is going on.

]
I agree. I just sent mine off on monday. I paid $35.00 all together to get the TBN done as well, I wanted to find out how much more life the oil had in it.

Quick Reply: JK Oil Burning?