Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JK Rear Fender Liner Removal

Old 07-07-2014, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Rear Fender Liner Removal

I was out on a trail and had a tree put a nasty dent in my left rear fender (2014 JKU). It looks easy enough to push out from the inside -*BUT*- there is a fender liner in the way. It appears that there are some sort of round plastic rivets holding the fender to the liner on the outside and some of those flat plastic "screws" holding the liner to the body.

I have read a couple of articles on removing but most people were leaving them off when they removed them. I just want to pull the liner out enough to take care of the dent then put it back in. If it's not too rigid I should be able to get away with just removing some of those outside ones.

(1) Is there a tool to remove those outside rivets so I can reuse them? I'd rather not buy them again if I can avoid it.
(2) If I'm out of luck what rivet tool do I need to put new ones back in?

It might just be easier to cut em off and replace them if the tool isn't ridiculously expensive and I can get some replacement rivets.

Any help would be appreciated!

--Matt
Old 07-07-2014, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not certain but I think the rear bumper is pretty much a single molded part (I assume that because of those that have been converted to hold water). Any rivet looking thing is probably just residual mold injector artifacts.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The liner and fender come out together. You'll make a big mess trying to just remove the liner. Remove all of the flat round plastic inserts (I think there are like 6 or so?). Next, grab the fender and pull up and out. It will come right off. Most of the clips will break, so they will need to be replaced. You can get all new clips, rivets, etc, from Clips n Fasteners .com.

If you want to see some instructions, check out metalcloaks website and look for the instructions on installing the rear exoskins. It walks through removing the fender and liner.

Btw, you might want to post a picture of your dent first. The body panels come together just above the fender, so you may not be able to access the dent anyway. I can tell you from experience, that dents in that area are nearly impossible to fix. And that is why you replace the stock garbage with some steel fenders that are connected to the tub and frame and some corner armor (to cover the dents and prevent new ones from happening). I use mine to pivot around trees and rocks now
Old 07-07-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CombatDiver
I'm not certain but I think the rear bumper is pretty much a single molded part (I assume that because of those that have been converted to hold water). Any rivet looking thing is probably just residual mold injector artifacts.
He said 'fender', not 'bumper'.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5150cliff

He said 'fender', not 'bumper'.
My bad. Sorry, it has been one of those days.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
The liner and fender come out together. You'll make a big mess trying to just remove the liner. Remove all of the flat round plastic inserts (I think there are like 6 or so?). Next, grab the fender and pull up and out. It will come right off. Most of the clips will break, so they will need to be replaced. You can get all new clips, rivets, etc, from Clips n Fasteners .com.

If you want to see some instructions, check out metalcloaks website and look for the instructions on installing the rear exoskins. It walks through removing the fender and liner.

Btw, you might want to post a picture of your dent first. The body panels come together just above the fender, so you may not be able to access the dent anyway. I can tell you from experience, that dents in that area are nearly impossible to fix. And that is why you replace the stock garbage with some steel fenders that are connected to the tub and frame and some corner armor (to cover the dents and prevent new ones from happening). I use mine to pivot around trees and rocks now
I've seen that video. I was hoping I didn't need to go that route. Maybe I need to just bite the bullet and upgrade the fenders. Damn, another mod to add to the list. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: JK Rear Fender Liner Removal