Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

jk wrangler love limits :( soft top leaks

Old 06-18-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jk wrangler love limits :( soft top leaks

well here is the deal ive had this jeep for about 6months now...i really enjoy driving in it and stuff...but here in minnesota its been raining and raining and raining.....ive search the forums tried out a few things but the leak wont stop what so ever! here is a few pictures...any help would be great! i mean great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	leak 1.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	172926Click image for larger version

Name:	leak2.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	172927Click image for larger version

Name:	leak 6.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	172928Click image for larger version

Name:	leak 5.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	172929
Old 06-18-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ehh, its a Jeep, they all leak at some point...Mine needed a short (2 inch) piece of stick on foam weather strip to correct its leak, which was in the same location in your pics.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

You think u could take a picture?
Jeep is starting to reek of wet carpet too....but no complaints about that its just annoying that I have to get into a wet corner seat and wet door handle :(
Old 06-18-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to hear you're fighting with leaks. I've had my share of problems leaks. It took me a few tries, but I finally got them stopped.

It's kind of difficult to tell exactly where your leak is coming from by the pictures you posted. Is the water dripping on your door handles? That's where my '07 was leaking.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Yeah the water is dripping on the door handle...that's the only spot where it drips thankfully...all I really need is to see picture on how they fixed there leaks...I'm willing to try everything....I've tried weather stripping but I don't think I'm placing it in the correct areas ....
Old 06-18-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also had soft top leaking on the door handles on my 2009 2dr. I just lived with it for a while, until the first time I took the doors off. When I put the doors and door surrounds back on, it quit leaking. I think it must be something to do with the door surrounds not sitting just right, but I also heard from someone that double pumping the latches on the windshield when you are finishing putting the top back up helps, so I've also been doing that as well. I don't really know if that's what keeps it from leaking now or not, but my money is on the door surrounds. Try screwing them down a little tighter or something. Maybe you might get lucky like I did. I wish I had a more concrete or definitive suggestion, but that's all I got.

Jason
Old 06-19-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been dealing with this same issue. It first happened when it was under 3/36 warranty and the dealer replaced my entire soft top. That was back when they were still pretty cool... Now I have the problem again and am trying to figure out how best to deal with it. Funny thing is, when I don't seat the channels that go over the door, it doesn't seem to leak. Kind of opposite to what you'd expect, but it's also a band aid repair. I need to figure out how to stop it for good. My yj and tj never leaked a drop. These jk's sure are frustrating.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My soft top leaks too. But some tape over the part where the rubber seal overlaps the door surround - make sure it is not folded back. I just put tape over that part and it stops leaks for the most part. I just carry duct tape with me, and when the tape on the door starts to come off (repeated open/closing) I peel it off and stick a new one on there.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by runnin-low
Yeah the water is dripping on the door handle...that's the only spot where it drips thankfully...all I really need is to see picture on how they fixed there leaks...I'm willing to try everything....I've tried weather stripping but I don't think I'm placing it in the correct areas ....
Check out this thread...
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...handles!/page2

It sounds like your '07 is leaking the same place mine was. This COMPLETELY fixed my leak. I haven't had any issue since!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

thanks for all the replys! oscarthejeep ill read that thread...i dont recall reading it yet...thanks again!

Quick Reply: jk wrangler love limits :( soft top leaks