Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Just to make sure im not alone...

Old 12-30-2011, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just to make sure im not alone...

I have read alot of threads about differentials appearing " damp" from seeping gaskets, how many other people d have seeping water pump gaskets? I was changing my oil today and noticed a spot that appears to be seeping on my gasket but my levels seem to be pretty good, guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now, sorry no pictures yet because it got dark on me and im garageless :( haha
Old 12-30-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKCloak
I have read alot of threads about differentials appearing " damp" from seeping gaskets, how many other people d have seeping water pump gaskets? I was changing my oil today and noticed a spot that appears to be seeping on my gasket but my levels seem to be pretty good, guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now, sorry no pictures yet because it got dark on me and im garageless :( haha
Is it seeping from the weep hole on the face of the pump near the shaft, or from around the outside edge of the pump where it mates to the timing cover? If it's coming from the weep hole then yeah, its a sign that the bearing's on the way out & you will need a new pump. If its just a small spot around the outside gasket then it would be worth re-torquing the bolts and then just keeping an eye on it as you said. These JK cooling systems do run hot and thus at high pressures so fluid will tend to find any any weak link in the chain.

Good news is that these pumps are cheap & easy to replace yourself, if the worst comes to the worst.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

It is definately seeping from the gasket, not the weep hole, I will try re torquing the bolts tomorrow and keep an eye on it

Last edited by JKCloak; 12-30-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is where is was seeping from

Ignore the drops on the engine that look like it sprayed out, see where it's damp on top of the lip?

I was able to tighten a couple of the bolts a little bit do I'll just keep an eye on it for now
Old 12-31-2011, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its there any way you can confirm if its coolant and not oil?...I know you said to ignore the spray but do you know if that is oil or coolant? Did the leaking gasket drip onto the serpentine belt while it was running and that's what the spray is from?
Old 12-31-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by efan450
Its there any way you can confirm if its coolant and not oil?...I know you said to ignore the spray but do you know if that is oil or coolant? Did the leaking gasket drip onto the serpentine belt while it was running and that's what the spray is from?
The spray is from me with the armorall bottle under the hood, it is coolant for sure

Quick Reply: Just to make sure im not alone...