Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Keyless entry annoyance solved (sorta)

Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry annoyance solved (sorta)

So, I've had this problem with my '09 JKU for a while now -- I turn off the ignition, take the key out, shut the door, and I'm unable to lock it using the remote on the key for about 30 seconds. I can lock the doors with the switch on the door, but then I also can't unlock for about 30 seconds. Pretty annoying if you leave something inside, or if you like to arm the alarm ever.

It turns out that it's my GPS. I hard-wired a Garmin "nuvi" GPS into the ignition-switched accessory socket with some MacGyver style soldering. This is a GPS that has it's own battery and when it loses power it'll ask you if it should stay on, otherwise it'll remain on for 30 seconds. Whatever it's doing power-wise is confusing the keyless entry... if I hit the 'turn off now' button or unplug it entirely, I can lock and unlock the vehicle immediately.

So what is going on? This seems like a defect to me. I assume the GPS is still drawing some power, but that line should be completely cut off at that point.

I'm tempted to put a relay in there so that the relay is triggered by power going to the accessory socket, and then have the relay switch power for me from the other accessory socket or something like that. But this just seems like something I should have to do.... anybody know why a power draw on the switched accessory socket would confuse the keyless entry? For now I guess I'll just keep turning the GPS off manually every time I get out.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

I tapped into the switched socket for power to my transmission temp gauge. The remote lock/unlock operates normally.

On your GPS, the internal battery power must be feeding back into the socket. When you turn the GPS off, the remote goes back to normal.

Install a diode so the GPS power will not back-feed.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Funny Thing!

My girlfriend has a '09 Sahara. Today she came out to her jeep and the doors would not unlock.. She attempted to unlock and the alarm went off. Then she was not able to crank the Jeep due to the alarm never disengaging.

I took my '07 over and took the negative off the battery and waited a bit, then it cranked up. Now the tire pressure light has just come on. all the tires read 38 psi. I am stumped on both problems.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow to see if I can figure it out.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default Dealers SUCK

Went to the dealer today. I had clips from the threads in hand explaining the WCM box and Static electricty through the key, etc etc etc./

The technician handed me back the paper without reading and said he would figure it out. An hour later, he tells me nothing is wrong and handed me the keys. I just said "whatever, I will fix it myself" and left. They wonder why they can't sell any vehicles, and why noone buys the over priced service plans!

I love our Jeeps, but hate the BS that comes with buying one!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Have any of you performed the marker light mod? Thinking back, all of this started after I wired the marker lights as turn signals.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry annoyance solved (sorta)