JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Knocking upon start up (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/knocking-upon-start-up-14063/)

neeves 03-10-2008 09:51 AM

I find mine only does it when cold. I tried a few things people suggested (different oil viscosities, synthetic oil, oil filter) and nothing has worked. A few people I have talked to at the dealership have the same problem and have tried the same solutions all to no avail.

simon 03-10-2008 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by simon (Post 380423)
It has happened to me and have found the problem. I thought it was the engine knocking, because that is what it sounded like. However, it is actually loose exhaust manifold bolts. Do a search on this site and you will find a few threads. Have the dealer either tighten or replace the bolts.

It only did it when cold on mine as well.

Take a look at this:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=exhaust+bolts

TeraFlex 03-10-2008 10:24 AM

What weight of oil did you use?

IndianaJK 03-10-2008 02:08 PM

Well, Changing the oil filter didn't fix mine. I went out and started it today(been sitting for 3 days) and Knock, knock, knock, it was back again. It goes away almost immediately after start up. Sounds like a dry start knock for sure but not sure why.( I thought it had to be the oil filter draining over time)

I only have 1500 miles on it and it only knocks after it sits for a few days.

I keep it inside a heated garage that might get down to 45 at the coldest so I know its not just cold temps.

Do you think I have a problem with this engine already? It runs fine after started and never knocks if I drive it daily. Do you think this could be a bad antidrain back valve problem on the oil filter? I have a mobil 1 filter on it now.

simon 03-10-2008 05:03 PM

Not sure if anyone can hear me, but TIGHTEN YOUR EXHAUST MANIFOLD BOLTS!
I don't mean to yell, but I bet you that is the problem.

LSU Jeeper 03-10-2008 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by simon (Post 381160)
Not sure if anyone can hear me, but TIGHTEN YOUR EXHAUST MANIFOLD BOLTS!
I don't mean to yell, but I bet you that is the problem.

Mine and a few of these other guys only do it when the engine sits a while... did your exhause manifold problem only knock when cold as well?

mimills 03-10-2008 08:00 PM

I have a 2007 with 24000+ miles on the almost year old engine. I have experienced the same knock upon a cold start up. I have found that by using either what ever the Jeep dealer uses for oil or what I have changed to, Mobile 1, the problem seems to almost go away. Every now an then I will hear a faint knock but it is defiantly not as noticeable as with the other quick lube type oil that I have used a few times.

Mike

CARGUYS 03-10-2008 08:09 PM

Knock Knock

FYI, the larger capacity oil filter from MOPAR some people are using will for sure cause knocking, beware !!!!!!!!!, the larger filters internals are very different then the spec MOPAR filter, thus the drainback pressure valve is set different.

Chrisbuilt 03-10-2008 09:33 PM

Mine has always done it if its left for more than 12 hours. I had a brain fart and thought it might be cause by a hydraulic lifter bleeding down. Goes away after a few seconds and some new oil pumped into the lifter???? Are they even hydro lifters in the 3.8?

simon 03-11-2008 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by LSU Jeeper (Post 381223)
Mine and a few of these other guys only do it when the engine sits a while... did your exhause manifold problem only knock when cold as well?

Yes. Mine only did it when it was cold. It does not do it anymore. The dealer just tightened up the bolts and it has not done it since.