Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Leak sorted? Not quite...

Old 04-27-2014, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak sorted? Not quite...

Greetings from rainy England

I'm not going to bore you with details but like a lot of JK owners for the last two years my hard top has had leaks. Last week after what seemed like it's 10th visit to the dealers I screamed Eureka! when my leaks were fixed...

Until on both sides I checked the footwells and found damp where the hook in the centre clips into the mats. The damp is on the base of the rubber mats and on the carpet. Twice now I've dried out this area with large bags of crystals you get in new TV's etc. but after each rainstorm it's damp again just in this area.

Where can this moisture be coming from? It's dry by the edges of the door sills, could the drain plugs had fallen out and how easy is it to reach these. I struggled today to get much of the carpet out. If I wanted to I think I would need to unbolt the seats first.

Any ideas on what to do?

Paul
Old 04-27-2014, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to remove the seats to take the carpets out. There are plastic screw type fasteners that hold the carpet in place: one knee level in the footwell; the other under the seat. Pull from the footwell area back to the rear then from the rear to the front. You may have to make one small quarter inch cut to the carpet around the seat bracket. When the carpet is off, you will see the plugs.
Do your side mirrors hold water? If they do, they may spill into the door and into the cab. Drill a tiny hole into the plastic mirror bracket to let the water drain outside the door.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just went back to the Jeep and found on both the driver and passenger side footwells at least a few mm of water. I left the carpets in but managed to remove the four drainage plugs, which will stay off overnight to air, mopped up the surplus water and put the bags of crystals under the carpets. I reckon a few days of this and it'll be dry. Now that hopefully the source of the water is fixed that should be the problem solved. Only in a Jeep!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best to remove the carpets and let UV kill any spores. Check the rear areas for water too.

Quick Reply: Leak sorted? Not quite...