Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Leaking coolant

Old 11-08-2010, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking coolant

last weekend i noticed some red liquid under the jeep i discovered to be coolant. i couldn't tell where it had been coming from. today i noticed my overflow tank was below the minimum line. has anyone experinced this? i have about 600 miles before my warranty runs out so what should i look for? also what kind of coolant do i need to get to put back in. thanks
Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tommyluv78
last weekend i noticed some red liquid under the jeep i discovered to be coolant. i couldn't tell where it had been coming from. today i noticed my overflow tank was below the minimum line. has anyone experinced this? i have about 600 miles before my warranty runs out so what should i look for? also what kind of coolant do i need to get to put back in. thanks
Use the Royal Purple coolant additive an then fill the rest with any 50/50 coolant an you should be good to go.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had water pump seal go out recently.
The leak was on the bottom of the pump so I couldn't see it from above, had to crawl under with a flashlight to spot it.

Dealer said they would warranty it but I didn't feel like waiting 2 days to get my JK back.
Reman is $40 at Schmucks and only took 1/2 hr to replace.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Could smell it but couldn't find it at first.
After further inspection yup water pump at 40k miles.
This is my first Jeep so I am chalking a lot of things up to "It's a Jeep thing" that would have annoyed me with other vehicles.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Just had my water pump replaced under warranty at 41,000 miles. Only saw it when I was parked on some snow in my driveway, and I let it run while I was clearing the snow off

Quick Reply: Leaking coolant