Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

leaking hard top

Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy leaking hard top

Extremely delayed. Sorry i;ve been busy with school and stuff

So almost a month ago tropical storm Faye went through Fl and right over me. It wasn't too bad just a bunch of rain, sadly some flooding but we had it easy.

So I open up my jeep the day after and I see that the front passenger floor had almost 3 inches of water in it totally not cool. I took out all the wet carpet (still out btw) and took off the drain plugs.

To make a long story (which i already told). what the hell let water in? is there a fix? That was the only wet part. the rest of the jeep was perfectly dry.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

crap totally posted this on the wrong side. any way to move it to correct place? sotck jk if im not mistaken right?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:24 AM
JK Newbie

I've had just about every seal replaced due to leaking, have water in the front all the time, usually have a lot in the rear cubby.
so far they have replaced: header, front door surrounds, hard top panel seals, rear gate seals... still have water coming in.
so I spray lined the floor.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it parked in an area that was flooded? Just wondering since everything else was dry I would think that it had to come in from below because otherwise the seats, dash, etc... should have signs of the water leak.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow...I like that write up...works great with color pics like that...any chance there is one like that showing the air leak noises

Last edited by JackMac4; 09-16-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:20 AM
JK Newbie

Not to be a dick or anything but it is a jeep. mine leaked so bad i had to remove the carpet which was planned anyway but still just be thankful you are lucky enough to own a vehicle with drain plugs in the floor.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:28 AM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Try taking it off and putting it back on a cpl of times...also try put some vaseline on the seals..helps em seal better..

KSK
Old 09-22-2008, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Have you tried Stuart Jeep

I see you live in Lake Worth. What dealer is doing your work? I drive up to Stuart Jeep, because they are really good. Maroone and the others down here have the worst service... .poorly trained, lie, don't have tools..... and are not Wrangler enthusiasts.

Stuart Jeep has the best service department in the State. They replaced my hardtop freedome panels due to the hand screws poking thru, and I still have no leaks. They are tremendous, real enthusiasts, you can eat off the shop floor, and they even let you come back in the shop. It's a 45 min drive from Delray (if no traffic), but worth it.

Just a thought. Good Luck.

Also, I live just down in Delray Beach. If you want another Jeep enthusiast to help look for the leak, PM me. Maybe you've already done all this...

By the way, I would not use vaseline as mentioned above.. could hurt the seals. Use Syl-Glide from Napa or DOW 111. These are safe for rubber seals.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rlabbott
I see you live in Lake Worth. What dealer is doing your work? I drive up to Stuart Jeep, because they are really good. Maroone and the others down here have the worst service... .poorly trained, lie, don't have tools..... and are not Wrangler enthusiasts.

Stuart Jeep has the best service department in the State. They replaced my hardtop freedome panels due to the hand screws poking thru, and I still have no leaks. They are tremendous, real enthusiasts, you can eat off the shop floor, and they even let you come back in the shop. It's a 45 min drive from Delray (if no traffic), but worth it.

Just a thought. Good Luck.

Also, I live just down in Delray Beach. If you want another Jeep enthusiast to help look for the leak, PM me. Maybe you've already done all this...

By the way, I would not use vaseline as mentioned above.. could hurt the seals. Use Syl-Glide from Napa or DOW 111. These are safe for rubber seals.
thanks a for the info man. wish i could take it there but i moved to orlando about a month ago for school. if im ever in the area ill shoot you a pm to try to get some wheelin or something going. ill def try stuart when im home though. It hasnt leaked since so ill call it a fluke until next time. Ill prob take all the carpet off ina month when i take the top off (end of rain hiopefully) just in case. thanks for the input guys

p.s. i know it jeep and that it will leak but i was just looking to see if there as a fix or anything. i love the drain plugs. your right though. it is a jeep so im not upset bout it at all
Old 09-29-2008, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same leak on a new 2008 2 door. I took the panels off, cleaned and reinstalled. Found that the leak is in the top front of the door and window frame where the gaskets meet. Dealer is going to look at it but I am not optimistic. I took the carpets out, passenger side was a lake and the driver's side was wet from the Niagara Falls coming from the gutter when you open the door. Hopefully that engineer was fired.

Quick Reply: leaking hard top