Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

leaking transmission lines?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking transmission lines?

I have a b&m auxiliary cooler and I thought the barber fittings were leaking, turns out it is the factory line where the crimp on connector is. I know this is a common problem but I don't know the easiest solution. I have true searching but haven't had much luck finding anything but people saying they have the problem.

Can I just cut those fittings off and hose clamp the rubber lines on? If I can cut them, what is the best way to cut them?

Any other ideas on how to solve this issue? Kind of looking for a quick easier fix, rather than something overly complicated for a small leak.

Thanks
Bryan
Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Get a flare kit, cut off the hardline right before each factory crimp fitting. Single flare the ends an use the Aeroquip connectors an lock-tite lines. I gave you a photo of the items and quanity I used, its easy just take your time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2996364746.jpg
Views:	1090
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	156501   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2318927120.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	156505  

Last edited by EarlyJk; 05-03-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the reply. Is there a flare tool that does a good job that doesn't cost $200 bucks.

Is this a few hours on a Saturday kind of job, or a whole weekend? Seems like a fairly simple job if you have everything ready to go.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by duneslider
Thanks for the reply. Is there a flare tool that does a good job that doesn't cost $200 bucks.

Is this a few hours on a Saturday kind of job, or a whole weekend? Seems like a fairly simple job if you have everything ready to go.
Any automotive store round your area should rent/loan you the flare kit. The whole job shouldnt take you more than 2hrs. Did mine a while back an solved my leaking/seeping lines 100%. Best mod I have done, even when wheeling my tranny temp stays in the 165-180 range, an after a whole day of beating it up on the trails its good to know you dont have to worry about that leak.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

Thanks. I will look into getting all the part rounded up.

Where did you buy all the fittings?
How did you cut the lines?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Thanks. I will look into getting all the part rounded up.

Where did you buy all the fittings?
How did you cut the lines?
Pipe line cutter (looks like pool cue with a blade in the middle). I got all my stuff at Summit Racing.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for all the info. Shouldn't be too bad. I am assuming you have an auxiliary cooler too?

I assume you ran the new lines from the jk hard line to the hard line on the stock cooler then from the hard line on the stock cooler to the auxiliary cooler then from the auxiliary cooler to the hard line going back to the transmission? That's how I will do it, just clarifying for future readers.

$75 and a few hours is a bargain to get this fixed.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for all the info. Shouldn't be too bad. I am assuming you have an auxiliary cooler too?

I assume you ran the new lines from the jk hard line to the hard line on the stock cooler then from the hard line on the stock cooler to the auxiliary cooler then from the auxiliary cooler to the hard line going back to the transmission? That's how I will do it, just clarifying for future readers.

$75 and a few hours is a bargain to get this fixed.

Thanks for the help.
Exactly. Good luck. Drop me a post if you need any more info.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

Are you talking about just a mini pipe cutter to cut the lines? I have one that I use to cut 1/4" copper tube that runs to fridge and such. I think it can be used on tubing 1/8-5/8. For some reason I never even thought of using my plumbing tools.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you talking about just a mini pipe cutter to cut the lines? I have one that I use to cut 1/4" copper tube that runs to fridge and such. I think it can be used on tubing 1/8-5/8. For some reason I never even thought of using my plumbing tools.
That's the tool I used, worked like a charm.

Quick Reply: leaking transmission lines?