Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaky diff/pumpkin from wheeling :(

Old 10-07-2007, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky diff/pumpkin from wheeling :(

I nailed a rock or two (hundred or so) during wheeling and yesterday I noticed oilyness at the bottom of the diff. I put a lawn sprinkler under the Jeep to get it clean (it worked) and then dryed it (by driving) and noticed at my destination it had a little tiny oily drop coming out the bottom of the seal. The bottom of the cover, and a little bit the bottom of the actual pumpkin had scratchings pretty good on it.

Is there a chance that nailing the cover against the rock pushed the cover up enough to twist/loosen the seal? Would it be a possible solution to take the cover off, recenter the gasket, and recenter the cover? Should I buy just a new gasket? Should I buy a new gasket and cover? Is Dynatrac a top of the line product? What kind of diff fluid and where to get some?

Experiences and opinions are welcomed alike. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Look here.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...hlight=pumpkin
Old 10-07-2007, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

There's not a gasket in the front differential, just a silicon seal. I had some self-induced problems with mine (had a shop install a differential guard that didn't fit well) and once the seal was broken, the whole cover needed to be removed & re-sealed.

I'll bet your seal was disturbed. While you have the diff cover off, you'll be able to see if it was bent/damaged. Good luck! At least you'll have a good excuse to get a beefier cover
Old 10-07-2007, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

probably had a small leak then the dirt plugged it up---you washed the dirt away---so now it leaks again---hurry go hit another trail quick
Old 10-07-2007, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Robar
Thanks, that was a great thread. A couple questions remain unanswered. The site they were talking about didn't have Rockcrusher anymore, just Poison Spyder and Solid diff covers. The Poison Spyder one seemed pretty beefy so I'll probably go with that. Anyone know anything about it?
Originally Posted by Tedlick
There's not a gasket in the front differential, just a silicon seal. I had some self-induced problems with mine (had a shop install a differential guard that didn't fit well) and once the seal was broken, the whole cover needed to be removed & re-sealed.

I'll bet your seal was disturbed. While you have the diff cover off, you'll be able to see if it was bent/damaged. Good luck! At least you'll have a good excuse to get a beefier cover
If the stock cover doesn't seem too beaten up is it worth trying to take the cover off, file it, putting some RTV on it and putting fluid in? Or should I just get a new cover from the get go. BTW, any idea on where or how to get the gear fluid? Can't find it anywhere :(
Originally Posted by jimmichele
probably had a small leak then the dirt plugged it up---you washed the dirt away---so now it leaks again---hurry go hit another trail quick
Hahaha... that's what I get for washing the car. It's only the 2nd time since I got it in March and I go wheeling at least once every week or two. I had to wash my driveway when done.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crankitdb711
Thanks, that was a great thread. A couple questions remain unanswered. The site they were talking about didn't have Rockcrusher anymore, just Poison Spyder and Solid diff covers. The Poison Spyder one seemed pretty beefy so I'll probably go with that. Anyone know anything about it?

If the stock cover doesn't seem too beaten up is it worth trying to take the cover off, file it, putting some RTV on it and putting fluid in? Or should I just get a new cover from the get go. BTW, any idea on where or how to get the gear fluid? Can't find it anywhere :(

Hahaha... that's what I get for washing the car. It's only the 2nd time since I got it in March and I go wheeling at least once every week or two. I had to wash my driveway when done.
now I know why it leaks your calling it a car!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 04:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Solid dif covers was formerly Rockcrusher.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're gonna make a habit of goin' out and bangin' those things on rocks and such you should go ahead and put on some ARB's or SOLIDS or Poison Spyders or Riddlers. I don't think any of them will disappoint you. It sounds like you're going to have to do it eventually anyhow. While you're doing that check out LubeLockR gaskets for it as well. They take away the guesswork of silicone.

P.S. Good time to switch to synth lube as well.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by seer1
If you're gonna make a habit of goin' out and bangin' those things on rocks and such you should go ahead and put on some ARB's or SOLIDS or Poison Spyders or Riddlers. I don't think any of them will disappoint you. It sounds like you're going to have to do it eventually anyhow. While you're doing that check out LubeLockR gaskets for it as well. They take away the guesswork of silicone.

P.S. Good time to switch to synth lube as well.
Good call with the idea of preventative armoring rather than just trying to reset and fix the same weak stock cover. Sounds like Lubelocker is the way to go... and certainly sounds easier which I like. What's the benefit of synthetic lube for this application? In terms of breakdown, I'd rather change the fluid more frequently since the diff is frequently submerged in muddy crap anyway... Thanks for the post.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

If you extend the breather tubes on the tranny and axles then you have less worry about sucking water into them.

Quick Reply: Leaky diff/pumpkin from wheeling :(