Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Legality of chopped fenders???

Old 08-17-2012, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Legality of chopped fenders???

Looking to chop my stock fenders in the near future.....is there anything i need to be aware of in regards to making sure they stay legal??? Not sure if that makes sense or not? Ill be adding some side markers for sure just just not sure if theres anything else i NEED
Old 08-17-2012, 08:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's going to depend on where you live. I know that when I went to the Easter Jeep weekend in Moab, the stressed on fenders covering the full tire. Said the police were big on enforcing it. Also know I see jeeps here in Denver driving around with no fenders.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RoysRig
that's going to depend on where you live. I know that when I went to the Easter Jeep weekend in Moab, the stressed on fenders covering the full tire. Said the police were big on enforcing it. Also know I see jeeps here in Denver driving around with no fenders.
I think its BS that they will ticket you for things like that when your vehicle is registered in a different state. In AZ there are no coverage laws, but I have to worry driving to CA or other states. My tires have about 3-4" of tread that stick out pass the fenders. Im not going change my mods whenever I need to go on a road trip
Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by D_engel
I think its BS that they will ticket you for things like that when your vehicle is registered in a different state. In AZ there are no coverage laws, but I have to worry driving to CA or other states. My tires have about 3-4" of tread that stick out pass the fenders. Im not going change my mods whenever I need to go on a road trip
lol, yeah I know, but there is also a flip side to this coin, we are the ones with the most cracked windshields, and if the fenders help reduce the chances of catching another rock then......
Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 PM
JK Junkie

This is true. My fenders dont do crap anymore. My stock flares didnt either. Ive been hit in the face by a rock cruising offroad. It looks good though
Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relocate the side marker. Depending where you live about tire coverage. I just trimmed the rounded edge off. And relocated the side marker. I have spacers also and even when it rains or offroad with my doors off i don't get hit with anything

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120818_022252.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	355429

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120818_022348.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	355430
Old 08-18-2012, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys....i think im just going to go ahead and chop them to my liking! If i get ticketed, then maybe ill think about picking up a spare set of stock fenders

Quick Reply: Legality of chopped fenders???