Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lifetime maxcare warranty- calipers covered?

Old 08-04-2019, 06:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Lifetime maxcare warranty- calipers covered?

I have the Chrysler lifetime warranty on my 2012 Jku. I have what I think is a hanging caliper. I have manual trans. When I apply brakes, then release, it seems like a caliper is still applying pressure. Just enough to stop it from rolling when on a slight incline. I am fully capable of replacing the calipers myself. However, should I consider letting the dealer address the issue? I have a $100 deductible. Anyone know if calipers are covered?
Old 08-04-2019, 08:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Anyone know if calipers are covered?
That question can be answered only by reading your warranty contract.

Have you narrowed it down to a particular brake?

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-04-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
That question can be answered only by reading your warranty contract.

Have you narrowed it down to a particular brake?
Not yet. Another symptom, as I'm approaching a red light and start to apply the brakes, the Jeep wants to divert the the left. As I apply more brake pressure it evens out and does not pull either left or right. One thought I have: after driving for a while I can use a non contact thermometer to measure the temperature of each wheel. If caliper is dragging it should result in a higher temperature. I'll read my contract again. It is supposed to cover anything that is not a wear item.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

jack it up and give your wheels a spin and see how freely or not they spin. There will always be some drag. If it is excessive pull the wheel and use brake cleaner and clean the heck out of the piston etc.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jadmt
jack it up and give your wheels a spin and see how freely or not they spin. There will always be some drag. If it is excessive pull the wheel and use brake cleaner and clean the heck out of the piston etc.
The drag eventually goes away. As an example, my driveway has a slight slope to it. When I pull in and stop in my driveway it won't roll backwards when I first stop. If I then leave the Jeep and come back maybe 5 minutes later, it will freely roll back.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
The drag eventually goes away. As an example, my driveway has a slight slope to it. When I pull in and stop in my driveway it won't roll backwards when I first stop. If I then leave the Jeep and come back maybe 5 minutes later, it will freely roll back.
brake cleaner.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

I still haven't addressed my hanging caliper issue. Yesterday I actually smelled some brake smell. When I got home I measured the temps of the wheels. Three were at 110 degrees and the right front was at 190 degrees. Looks like I found the culprit. I'm going to install new rotors and pads, clean and grease everything up good, then see if the problem goes away.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:35 PM
JK Junkie

Ok, tackled the problem today. I was unable to free up the sticking caliper so I replace it with a new one. All brake related issues now resolved. Caliper was only $64, so even if it was covered by my warranty, I would have still done it myself to save the $100 deductible and to prevent a dealer mechanic from touching my Jeep.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

The pins and boots can rust together too. They have kits at most shops for them. Mine was sticky... I found it was the boot had ripped and on of the pins was rusted so bad it would catch. Sounds like you found the problem though...
Old 08-27-2019, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
The pins and boots can rust together too. They have kits at most shops for them. Mine was sticky... I found it was the boot had ripped and on of the pins was rusted so bad it would catch. Sounds like you found the problem though...
Yeah,my pins were still sliding without resistance. Just couldn't get the darn piston to move Like it should. I was able to move it some, but required almost enough force to bend the heavy C-clamp I was using.

Quick Reply: Lifetime maxcare warranty- calipers covered?