JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Lifetime Powertrain Warranty '07 - '09 Class Action (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/lifetime-powertrain-warranty-07-09-class-action-349672/)

SoK66 03-15-2019 09:14 AM

Lifetime Powertrain Warranty '07 - '09 Class Action

I was pretty sure the lawsuits were going to start ramping up on the '07 - '09 Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, not ony because of the "inspection" clause, but because FCA is obviously forcing the dealers to cancel the warranties for any plausible reason. The newest of these vehicles is now about ten years old and the costs on this are no doubt climbing rapidly as the major components age and fail. We'll have to see how this progresses.

https://www.classaction.org/news/fia...ain-warranties

captainstabbin 03-15-2019 09:40 AM

I had it explained to me that I had to get it inspected every 5 years. I have done it twice and still have the vehicle. I even got a new transmission out of it.

ronjenx 03-15-2019 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by SoK66 (Post 4338152)
I was pretty sure the lawsuits were going to start ramping up on the '07 - '09 Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, not ony because of the "inspection" clause, but because FCA is obviously forcing the dealers to cancel the warranties for any plausible reason. The newest of these vehicles is now about ten years old and the costs on this are no doubt climbing rapidly as the major components age and fail. We'll have to see how this progresses.

https://www.classaction.org/news/fia...ain-warranties

I read the link. People are calling it a hidden and a surprise inspection.
When I bought mine in Feb '08, I read the warranty book that came with the Jeep. It is plainly written that 5 year inspections are required. It's not fine print.
I still have the 2008 Wrangler showroom brochure. In it, the lifetime warranty is addressed by telling the reader to get a copy of the warranty from the dealer. I would assume if reading the brochure, the Jeep will not have been purchased yet.
I even got notifications from Jeep several months before each required inspection.

It sounds like they are trying to blame Jeep for their own oversights.

Now, voiding the warranty for the slightest of unrelated reasons is what they should be going after.

srino 03-15-2019 11:30 AM

Notifications from Jeep before the inspections? Wonder if there are two Jeep corporations. I never got diddly from them regarding the warranty.

nthinuf 03-15-2019 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 4338157)
When I bought mine in Feb '08, I read the warranty book that came with the Jeep. It is plainly written that 5 year inspections are required. It's not fine print.

Now, voiding the warranty for the slightest of unrelated reasons is what they should be going after.

Agreed. It's all spelled out in the warranty booklet, with spaces for you to log the Inspections. Probably why that particular class-action suit has gone nowhere. But voiding for any and all reasons they can think of should definitely be looked at.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...8847840135.png

SoK66 03-16-2019 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by nthinuf (Post 4338162)
Agreed. It's all spelled out in the warranty booklet, with spaces for you to log the Inspections. Probably why that particular class-action suit has gone nowhere. But voiding for any and all reasons they can think of should definitely be looked at.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...8847840135.png

That stuff never stopped a lawyer! Courts frown on clauses that aren't prominenty displayed and in this case, notifications given, such as the postcard. California is particularly strict about such things. I can tell many California war stories from when I ran Customer Service Operations for a Chysler competitor.

The main point that wil eventually trip up FCA is their inconsistency re: inspections pass/fail. Some dealers won;t approve the slightest modifications, others just focus on the powertrain.

FCA seems to have not clearly instructed their field service reps on this, and accordingly they aren't consistent in instructing the dealers. FCA's rep on warranty coverage is about as bad as any in te industry. That's why we read these nutty reasons for the warranty being declined, llike owners doing self service rather than at the dealers, etc.

Rednroll 03-16-2019 01:37 PM

Sounds good to me, my life-time power train warranty has been cancelled due to that clause. Where do I sign up?

It seems like where they're going with this is that the clause has not been brought to the attention and acknowledge by the customer prior to purchase. So you don't get a warranty booklet with the clause in it until AFTER the purchase.

dmwil 03-17-2019 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 4338157)
I read the link. People are calling it a hidden and a surprise inspection.
I still have the 2008 Wrangler showroom brochure. In it, the lifetime warranty is addressed by telling the reader to get a copy of the warranty from the dealer. I would assume if reading the brochure, the Jeep will not have been purchased yet.
I even got notifications from Jeep several months before each required inspection.

It sounds like they are trying to blame Jeep for their own oversights.

Same here. I've had the inspections done within the guidelines and have had no issues, even with a 2" lift and 33's. I have the inspection window in my phone calendar with an alarm to schedule the appointment on day 1 of the window in 2022. Btw, I got a new (factory reman) transmission, too, over something I thought would just be a repair. They've gone way beyond what I expected with this warranty, as the previous transmission's issue appeared minor. (It was softly popping out of 3rd gear about once a month.)

Btw, is the water pump covered? Mine appears to be doing well at 130k miles, but I'm sure its days are numbered. I thought I've read that those are covered, but am not sure. I know the PCM is not covered. I just had one replaced.

ronjenx 03-17-2019 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by dmwil (Post 4338215)
Btw, is the water pump covered? Mine appears to be doing well at 130k miles, but I'm sure its days are numbered.

Here's the list of what's covered on the engine:

Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal
parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing
chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration
damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake
and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring
gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger
housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate
actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner;
seals and gaskets for listed components only.

dmwil 03-17-2019 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 4338218)
Here's the list of what's covered on the engine:

Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal
parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing
chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration
damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake
and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring
gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger
housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate
actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner;
seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Thank you so much!