JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Lifetime Powertrain Warranty '07 - '09 Class Action (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/lifetime-powertrain-warranty-07-09-class-action-349672/)

uf126 03-18-2019 12:59 PM

Not sure how I know about the inspection but I think it was from this forum back i the day. Luckily I've kept it up. Just got my rear main seal replaced under the warranty this past week. Saved me about $1300.

BrandonKTM 03-20-2019 04:11 AM

Lifetime Warranty

OK I just bought my first JEEP 08 JK Rubicon with the 3.8L and it evidently had oil leaks. The engine has NEW heads on it and looks like it may have been out of the JEEP. New gaskets and sealant visible on heads, Timing cover, etc. I bought it from a used car dealer. Second owner cause I saw the original title. My guess is the work was done under the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty that is referenced above. Does that transfer to me? In any case the used car dealer also gave me a 1 year, 12k mile powertrain warranty but thats not as good as FCA Lifetime warranty in my opinion. And you guessed it, I have oil leaking, and gonna dye it this weekend to pinpoint the source/location. My bet is they did not replace the crankshaft seal when they they put the new timing cover on (evidently recall on that cover). I will update Forum on source of leak. did ALL 08 JK get the Lifetime Warranty or did it get purchased?
Is that something that a VIN search would uncover?

Rednroll 03-20-2019 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by BrandonKTM (Post 4338409)
OK I just bought my first JEEP 08 JK Rubicon with the 3.8L and it evidently had oil leaks. The engine has NEW heads on it and looks like it may have been out of the JEEP. New gaskets and sealant visible on heads, Timing cover, etc. I bought it from a used car dealer. Second owner cause I saw the original title. My guess is the work was done under the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty that is referenced above. Does that transfer to me? In any case the used car dealer also gave me a 1 year, 12k mile powertrain warranty but thats not as good as FCA Lifetime warranty in my opinion. And you guessed it, I have oil leaking, and gonna dye it this weekend to pinpoint the source/location. My bet is they did not replace the crankshaft seal when they they put the new timing cover on (evidently recall on that cover). I will update Forum on source of leak. did ALL 08 JK get the Lifetime Warranty or did it get purchased?
Is that something that a VIN search would uncover?

The life-time powertrain warranty does not transfer. It's limited to the original owner only.

SoK66 03-23-2019 11:10 AM

The front crankshaft seal has very little pressure on it and rarely leaks. I doubt they didn't replace it, hard to get the oil pump drive to engage with the crank if you have the seal in place. Clean the area of the upper oil pan seal thoroughly. They tend to seep and it collects on the bottom of the cast drive plate cover. Often confused with a main seal leak, rarely the actual issue. Pan gasket replacement is a snap.

BrandonKTM 03-25-2019 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by SoK66 (Post 4338674)
The front crankshaft seal has very little pressure on it and rarely leaks. I doubt they didn't replace it, hard to get the oil pump drive to engage with the crank if you have the seal in place. Clean the area of the upper oil pan seal thoroughly. They tend to seep and it collects on the bottom of the cast drive plate cover. Often confused with a main seal leak, rarely the actual issue. Pan gasket replacement is a snap.

Well yesterday we checked for the leak with dye and light and sure enough it is the crankshaft seal. Don't know if they did replace it or not, but whoever worked on it (just bought this 08 Rubicon) did not put the seal in correctly as it is crooked and almost out of the timing cover. Oil leaks, drips on the harmonic balancer and sprays everywhere.