Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lifter tap? (not the usual tick-tick-tick)

Old 02-25-2019, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
My previous 07 JK threw a rod after I sold it, and the new owner let me know about it. No idea how it was being driven, but the Jeep had just over 50k miles on it. It also was an oil consumer, a common issue with the 3.8. I am not a fan of that motor.
Our was using a lot of oil, too. It's my stepson's daily driver and he ran it out of oil several times, which had its consequences. It didn't throw a rod but the rod bearings were shot. He's a student but scraped together the $$ for the new engine anyway and was a big help in installing it. And now he keeps a close eye on the oil.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Boyd B
My engine broke a crankshaft, I bought a running takeout (V8 swap) Was told it had a noisy lifter.. No big deal, right?. I decieded to check the bottom end 1st and found # 1 Rod bearing spun.... Then the puke wouldn't refund any money, as I "got a good deal on a used engine".... I would check the bottom end on any 3.8 engine noise, 1st. Easier than pulling to heads and changing lifters, to then find the noise is deeper.

How would you go about checking the bottom end first? How do you access that? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-13-2019, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Default Help!

Originally Posted by Boyd B
My engine broke a crankshaft, I bought a running takeout (V8 swap) Was told it had a noisy lifter.. No big deal, right?. I decieded to check the bottom end 1st and found # 1 Rod bearing spun.... Then the puke wouldn't refund any money, as I "got a good deal on a used engine".... I would check the bottom end on any 3.8 engine noise, 1st. Easier than pulling to heads and changing lifters, to then find the noise is deeper.

How would you go about checking the bottom end first? How do you access that? Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Lifter tap? (not the usual tick-tick-tick)