Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Limited Slip Additive

Old 10-27-2021, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Limited Slip Additive

What is the ratio of Limited Slip to Gear Oil.
I've been using the Mopar 4oz Limited Slip and 75W-140 Gear Oil
Rear is usually 2.3 Qts. and Front is approx.1.3Qts.
I've been putting one 4oz limited slip in front and rear.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

First off, what limited slip differential do you have in the front (I have an aftermarket Auburn, but it's very unusual because it's also a locker)? Are you sure you have one in the rear? Second, recommend that you use synthetic lube and NO friction modifier whether or not you have an LSD. Unless you have one of those Auburn lockers, which install instructions specifically say to use only dino lube. And that is getting difficult to find anymore since almost everything you buy is synthetic. And even at that, the dino I find (Castrol) specifically says that it's suitable as is for LSDs. So still no need for friction modifier.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
First off, what limited slip differential do you have in the front (I have an aftermarket Auburn, but it's very unusual because it's also a locker)? Are you sure you have one in the rear? Second, recommend that you use synthetic lube and NO friction modifier whether or not you have an LSD. Unless you have one of those Auburn lockers, which install instructions specifically say to use only dino lube. And that is getting difficult to find anymore since almost everything you buy is synthetic. And even at that, the dino I find (Castrol) specifically says that it's suitable as is for LSDs. So still no need for friction modifier.
Front Axle D-44 Tru Lock
Rear Axle D-44 Rock Trak
I take it you run 80-90 in the front, no Limited Slip.
In the Rear 75W-140 with Limited Slip.

Last edited by MountainTrails88; 10-28-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by MountainTrails88
Front Axle D-44 Tru Lock
Rear Axle D-44 Rock Trak
I take it you run 80-90 in the front, no Limited Slip.
In the Rear 75W-140 with Limited Slip.
I have no LSD in the rear. It's in the front (Weird, I know. Long story). And since I don't tow anything, I run the same 80-90 in the front and rear. This is per the 2007 Owner's Manual ...

To be clear, once again, my aftermarket Auburn locker in the front axle came with specific instruction to NOT run synthetic lube. If it weren't for that, I'd run synth in both axles. Since I don't want to run different fluids in the two axles, I run the Castrol for LSDs in both. If I had your axles, I'd run full synthetic lube in both axles and NO LSD additive. It is not needed with the synthetic lubes. You'll know that you need friction modifier if the LSD chatters when driven. Back when I had an LSD in the rear (many years ago), I used full synth and never had any chattering.

Here's a thread on the subject. Note that the first guy who says to use a friction modifier later recants that ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...dditive-96539/

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 10-29-2021 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I have no LSD in the rear. It's in the front (Weird, I know. Long story). And since I don't tow anything, I run the same 80-90 in the front and rear. This is per the 2007 Owner's Manual ...

To be clear, once again, my aftermarket Auburn locker in the front axle came with specific instruction to NOT run synthetic lube. If it weren't for that, I'd run synth in both axles. Since I don't want to run different fluids in the two axles, I run the Castrol for LSDs in both. If I had your axles, I'd run full synthetic lube in both axles and NO LSD additive. It is not needed with the synthetic lubes. You'll know that you need friction modifier if the LSD chatters when driven. Back when I had an LSD in the rear (many years ago), I used full synth and never had any chattering.

Here's a thread on the subject. Note that the first guy who says to use a friction modifier later recants that ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...dditive-96539/

I'd run 80-90 in the rear but have chosen to stick to 75W-140 being it's really hilly, mountains and it snows here. I guess the big difference between 80-90 and 75W-140 is price and 80-90 thins out when hot.

Last edited by MountainTrails88; 10-29-2021 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If you have the electric lockers in a Rubicon you don't have an LSD so there's no need for the additive.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Additive