Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Limp mode again

Old 10-25-2020, 02:26 PM
gcn
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Limp mode again

I have a 2014 Jeep JK and having problems going into limp mode for the past five months. Jeep dealer in Idaho Falls couldn’t fix it, jeep dealer in Rexburg Idaho couldn’t fix it. I had it into the Jeep dealer in Texas and I thought they fixed it. Now I am in Utah and here for a jeep rally and the minute I go down a bumpy road it does it again. Every time I go on a bumpy road it starts it. They have replaced the knock sensors and catalytic converter‘s and the oil temperature switch. It does not store code when it does it. It did have a code once for the camshaft sensor but then the light went out and they said they couldn’t work on it because the light never came back on. Does anyone have any ideas? I’m going to be taking it to the Jeep dealer tomorrow in St. George because there’s no code I’m not sure what they will do. I have the lifetime jeep warranty on it that’s why I take it to them. Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like a broken wire. My guess is one of the ABS wires. Alternatively, it could be a loose sensor. A quick check of where the wires go behind the inner fender might show there is a tight kink where the wire meets the connector. It could be broken there.
The following users liked this post:
QAS (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:43 PM
QAS
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with AZ scooter, sounds like a wiring problem or loose connector to a sensor.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:24 AM
gcn
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We thought the same thing because it always seems to start after a bumpy road. We finally got it fixed and you won’t believe what it was. The insulation mat on the hood of the car was coming down and blocking off the air for the engine. The guy on the repair shop said he has seen this before so you guys might want to pass this one around.
The following users liked this post:
SprkEng56 (11-02-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's not unusual to see this in the jeeps, but usually it presents under hard acceleration (intake sucking the pad down) or you'll see the pad hanging a little funny. I'm glad you got it sorted out though.

Quick Reply: Limp mode again