Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Liner for Jeep without carpet

Old 08-28-2007, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclops62
When I had my 97 TJ it never leaked in the 5 years I had it. Is there a problem with the JK soft tops??
Yes. Do a search on this forum. Some people have been unable to get their leaks fixed. Mine is at the dealer right now for a leak. My floor boards and carpet were completely soaked. No leak at all when I wash my JK. Leaks like crazy when it rains. Service tec said that they have had a fair amount of JKs with leaking soft tops and that it is extremely tough to fix them.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fattygio
After already replacing all my carpets under warranty once due to a leak, I recently had a major downpour in my city and again, the carpets are wet. I've accepted that the soft tops leak under extreme rainfall, theres just no way around it, I've already had the leak fixed once.. must be a jeep thing...
That said, i've been thinking about just losing the carpets altogether. Does anyone know of a solution, like a liner that you can purchase and you don't need the carpet? I like the look of those huskey liners but its seems all of the options go over carpet....

Anyone?

thx
Not to be abrasive or mean that this is personal to you, but I just can't see how some 07,08 Jeep owners can just accept that a new Jeep that leaks water is just a "jeep thing". Thats just pure BS and it gives Chrysler the win and no incentive to fix the problem unless you bitch (and you should) to the service dept and Chrysler HQ to fix this thing or if they can't then they can buy it back or give you one that doesn't leak.

The only way this thing is going to be resolved is by numbers. Numbers of dissatisfied new Jeep owners who keep on the service depts and Chrysler like a prickley stick up their ass.

Don't accept a pc of shit just because some people call it a 'jeep thing'. Some people are perfectly fine showering once a week and walking around smelling like mildew too, but that doesn't make it ok.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:50 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07JKX
i am going to try the duplicolor roll on bedliner from walmart in my cargo area. If it turns out well and looks even and consistant, i will do the rest of the tub. Cheap option that seems to look reliable. Plus its supposedly easy to patch should a chip show up
I did a bunch of reading on DIY bedliners. Herculiner was what I ended up with. I have been very impressed by the product. I found it at Autozone.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07JKX
i am going to try the duplicolor roll on bedliner from walmart in my cargo area. If it turns out well and looks even and consistant, i will do the rest of the tub. Cheap option that seems to look reliable. Plus its supposedly easy to patch should a chip show up

Do a little reading on the Duplicolor. I've heard that it doesn't hold up very well. Herculiner can be very cheap when found on sale. They also have rebates on it once in a while. It can be found online, or your can pick it up at Napa and save on shipping.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could someone post pics of their DIY liner. I'm thinking of doing it to my JK for water proofing. What are you guys doing to protect the radio and seats in the rain? I've got the 6 disc CD changer and I'm worried about theft and rain.

ALSO.. about leaking tops. I've had a 1998 TJ with a soft top.. and I never had any real leak problems, only a small drip every now and then near the rear windows. So I'd take this up with Jeep and your warranty. I've got the Freedom top. I picked up my Jeep on a very very rainy day! And my top was leaking above the radio and near the speakers where the two panels come apart in the front. I removed them and replaced them... and that fixed the problem. I've been in thunderstorms, car washes, etc since then and have no problems. I don't know what to do for a soft top? sorry.

Now I do have to admit that you can just admit that it is a Jeep thing... b/c Jeeps are not as refined as a BMW or Lexis... but if you wanted something more refined and "car like" get a Range Rover. It is a Jeep so that means that there will be some "Jeep" issues...mainly the elements of weather.

Just my thoughts.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I stripped my interior seats, carpets everything except the center consoul.. that was a nightmere, and the service manager strongly advised against it. Took it to the line-X dealer and had them line-X the whole interior as well as my front shrockworks bumper and rock rails. It looks awsome and is holding up great. I also had my p/u done 5 yrs ago an use it for landscaping and its still in excellent condition. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrinksJeep
Not to be abrasive or mean that this is personal to you, but I just can't see how some 07,08 Jeep owners can just accept that a new Jeep that leaks water is just a "jeep thing". Thats just pure BS and it gives Chrysler the win and no incentive to fix the problem unless you bitch (and you should) to the service dept and Chrysler HQ to fix this thing or if they can't then they can buy it back or give you one that doesn't leak.

The only way this thing is going to be resolved is by numbers. Numbers of dissatisfied new Jeep owners who keep on the service depts and Chrysler like a prickley stick up their ass.

Don't accept a pc of shit just because some people call it a 'jeep thing'. Some people are perfectly fine showering once a week and walking around smelling like mildew too, but that doesn't make it ok.
I totally agree with BrinksJeep, don't accept this shit just because some people call it a "jeep thing".
Old 09-04-2007, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll be bringing it in on Thursday to repair my steering shaft, seperating softtop seam and yes the leak..
Old 09-04-2007, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had herculiner in my CJ tub for about 10 years without problem. My interior is spice, so I laid down the liner then once it was tacky I sponge painted tan marine top coat so it looks like splashed mud inside my Jeep.

Only words of advice.....if you look at my knuckles you will notice most of them are scarred and missing "prints". A direct result of having wrenches slip and my knuckles scrape along the Herculiner. It is not forgiving.

And as for the "jeep thing".......It definitely IS a Jeep thing to have your interior waterproof. My CJ goes topless all summer and the only thing I have to worry about when it rains is keeping the inside of the windshield wiped off as I drive. I've added Wet Okole covers to my JK seats and will soon be removing the carpet so it can go topless all summer too.

Here's a pic of the CJ:

Last edited by amc78cj7; 09-04-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:12 PM
JK Newbie

Default Rubber carpet mats and tuffy liners are not good

I got the rubber mat and had to spend 12 hours trimming it to size. Then it trapped moisture and odor. Tuffy liners fit like a glove but the carpet spikes are taking off all my floor paint.

The spray on sound great.. or if you must get the liner file off the spikes get some spacer material like all weather carpet to prevent the scratching.

Quick Reply: Liner for Jeep without carpet