Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

location of HI speed cooler fan relay / wrangler 2008 radiator fan not shutting off

Old 02-19-2019, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile location of HI speed cooler fan relay / wrangler 2008 radiator fan not shutting off

HI,
I have a Wrangler Unlimited 2008 and my radiator fan doesn't shut off even when the motor is off. It keeps running on high speed until I unplug the fan fuse.
I am suspecting either the ECT sensor or the fan relay handling the high speed mode. The LO speed relay seems ok.
That's what I learned here on the forum in an article by Joseph Coelho ( https://www.jk-forum.com/how-tos/a/j...ot-work-407882 )
I located the ECT sensor but am not sure about the HI Fan Relay -- is it really the thing behind the driver's headlight? I can see a module (probably that relay) but want to make sure how to reach it. Do I have to uninstall the jeep grill and headlight? Is there any trick?

Thanks and any insight is highly appreciated.
Best
Frank
Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yep, the hi-speed relay is behind the driver headlamp.

As for removing the grill and headlamp, it's way easy. Your grill removes by popping out the push-tabs along the top of it, then pulling the bottom out by hand (bottom held in with clips)... then unhook the turn signals... it took me longer to type this than it will to actually do it (I'm a slow typist)... the headlamp is held in by three torqx screws... then you can see the relay pretty easily. It's held onto the body with a clip that is sometimes a bit of a pill to remove suggest wearing gloves as when it comes loose, you're sure to hit your hand on something.
The following users liked this post:
beachwalk (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jedg, Thanks so much for the details! Now I know I am on the right path and will tackle that thing! Thanks!

Quick Reply: location of HI speed cooler fan relay / wrangler 2008 radiator fan not shutting off