Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lock doors with remote and unlock with key and alarm goes off

Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lock doors with remote and unlock with key and alarm goes off

Hey guys I've always wondered why when I lock the doors with the remote and go to unlock the doors with the key in the door the alarm goes off. I've never had this happen to me on my previous vehicles. Any ideas why it does this I'm lost!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Alarm system for when the top is off someone can't reach in and unlock your doors. Not sure they the key on the lock doesn't disarm it but it has to be some with the key fob.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love autocorrect :(
Old 08-03-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I read it and understood but why would they make it like that lol. Gotta love iPhones
Old 08-03-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does the alarm go off once you put key into ignition?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Say it's locked via the remote then I go to unlock with the key in the door. Once I unlock the door and open it the alarm starts going off.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

No the alarm wont go of when the key is in the ignition...almost like the key disables it...i cant get the alarm to go off without antthing but opening the door. Ive rocked the jeep back and forth as hard as I can and nothing. But i do this everynight...i set my alarm twice and manually unlock my doors and tailgate with the key.....i thief tries to open my door it pops open and bam! Alarm sounds scares em right off
Old 08-03-2012, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C_GERM
Say it's locked via the remote then I go to unlock with the key in the door. Once I unlock the door and open it the alarm starts going off.
The alarm is programmed to the remote, when you lock it with the key fob, it arms the alarm. When you unlock the door manually with a key, there is nothing in the door that says "hey alarm brain ... disable", it just stays active. So when you open the door, the alarm goes off as it sees a breach. For the alarm to not go off, you have to unlock with your key fob.

If you lock it manually, the alarm is not active so you can unlock with the key and the alarm won't sound.

Sounds like its working as intended in your situation. Mine is an 08.

Scared the crap out of me a few times as I've done it by accident and wasn't expecting it.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why the hell do u arm the jeep with the remote and use the key to open? The same remote u used to lovk it will unlock it too! First press will unlock the driver door only and second rapid press will unlock all doors......so why use the key?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Earth Siege
Why the hell do u arm the jeep with the remote and use the key to open? The same remote u used to lovk it will unlock it too! First press will unlock the driver door only and second rapid press will unlock all doors......so why use the key?
Maybe this is the older jeep in me, but I take it one further and ask why do you lock your jeep? I guess I can see it with a hard top, but a soft top just seems like a bad idea, alarm or not. A locked jeep with a soft top is asking for a ruined top with stuff stolen and the alarm just makes it annoying to other people that in theory should be calling the police but are likely just ignoring it.

I may be biased since I've never seen an alarm go off for a legitimate reason and so I ignore all car alarms/get annoyed at the noise and try to ignore it. I've got the alarm on my jeep but it is really just a feature I settled with to get other features that I wanted.

Quick Reply: Lock doors with remote and unlock with key and alarm goes off