Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Long crank extended crank camshaft position sensor confusion

Old 03-06-2020, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by KClight01
Thanks Eharris, I see you have some good threads. So, now I have something else to consider. I went ahead and ordered the sensor and plan on checking the wiring harness closely. The only other thing that happened recently was a radiator leak and replacement, so I had some overspray towards the engine. I carefully cleaned and wiped what I could when I replaced the radiator, but as I was doing it, many of the brittle wire loom sections just broke up or disintegrated when I touched it. Instead of trying to replace the entire loom, I replaced just small sections that broke away, overlapped to the good loom. Maybe more of the loom for the cam sensor or crank sensor is gone, or maybe the ground wire has an issue, or maybe its the coil pack. I'm starting to wish I had a trouble code
I had this issue randomly for about 30k miles (like 120k - 150k). I had about 150k on the JK at the time. I did the CAM position sensor and Crank Position Sensor both at the same time. Very easy access and easy to do. Rock has the best prices on the Mopar sensors. The extended start was intermittent so I waited a while and then it came back once again. I ended up doing spark plugs, wires and figured I would do the coil pack at 166k and since then I have not heard the extended start issue. I only point the coil pack because the plugs and wires were only about a year or so old. I replaced the entire set when I ripped a boot off of the number 4 plug when changing the plugs. I do spark plugs once a year before the summer.

https://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-r...-camshaft-gear
https://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-r...tc-p0340-p0344

The key to doing this is to try one fix at a time and see if it solves. If the cam or crank solved it I wouldn't have known which one since I did them both at the same time. If you plan on trying a new coil pack I would stay with Mopar (rock best price) and I would also replace the PCV valve since it's right there.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update - I got the new CAM sensor today so went to install it right away. When I took the old sensor out, I noticed that the paper spacer on the end was missing! I took photos of the part when I replaced it last time, so I know it had the spacer. I guess the engine consumed it. I just installed the new one and it had the spacer, it started right up. It will take a few starts and days to confirm, but I am hopeful this was the cause.

...well it did the long crank again a couple of days ago. I guess I’ll try the crank sensor next

Last edited by KClight01; 03-15-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

One of the guys above will know much better than I will but I'm not sure if that piece of cardboard goes the distance or not. I think it just sets the space during install and after time would deteriorate into nothing. My old had nothing on it and the new came with the cardboard spacer. I guess another good question for a knowledgeable member is if keeping the old one works as a spare without the cardboard spacer? I've got the Cam and CPS sensors onboard thinking they could double as a spare. I don't think the CPS had a cardboard spacer but I definitely remember the cam. And yet another good question is if anyone knows where to buy the plastic replacement wire looms? Mine have deteriorated but I was worried about getting the wrong type and then it melts onto my wires. Is that even possible? Anyone have an amazon link or similar and common diameter size for it? Maybe 3/8"?
Old 03-07-2020, 10:40 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by EHarris
One of the guys above will know much better than I will but I'm not sure if that piece of cardboard goes the distance or not. I think it just sets the space during install and after time would deteriorate into nothing. My old had nothing on it and the new came with the cardboard spacer. I guess another good question for a knowledgeable member is if keeping the old one works as a spare without the cardboard spacer? I've got the Cam and CPS sensors onboard thinking they could double as a spare. I don't think the CPS had a cardboard spacer but I definitely remember the cam. And yet another good question is if anyone knows where to buy the plastic replacement wire looms? Mine have deteriorated but I was worried about getting the wrong type and then it melts onto my wires. Is that even possible? Anyone have an amazon link or similar and common diameter size for it? Maybe 3/8"?
You're correct about the spacer coming off the cam sensor and deteriorating. And a sensor without a spacer on it can be used again -- Have done it by simply retracting the sensor, and the spacer can be purchased as well. Here's a writeup with how it can be done (near the bottom of first post).

The crank sensor doesn't use the spacer method to set the gap, it's non-adjustable. Presumably the cam sensor has enough possible error in the gap from the timing cover positioning that they went with the spacer method.

Regarding the split plastic wire looms, they are available at NAPA and similar auto parts stores. New plastic split-loom can be "spliced" into old sections with self-sealing silicone tape to protect better than just having a gap between new and old. And sometimes a little silicone tape is all that's needed to repair a broken loom. This self-sealing (non-adhesive) silicone tape is in most hardware stores, typically as a multi-purpose repair tape (electrical insulation, fix hose leaks, etc.). I keep some in the tool bag for emergency repairs.

Last edited by Mr.T; 03-07-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Ahhh thanks Mr. T good info once again. I'll be grabbing some off of Napa and doing a lot of my wire looms that have deteriorated over the years. I could just picture my engine a melted mess from the wrong ones.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BKNC...nput=wire+loom

Last edited by EHarris; 03-07-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Update again - Its been 4 days and no more extended crank. So, it seems that the cam sensor was the issue. The original lasted 8 years, then I replaced it less than a year ago, and now I just replaced it again. I'm not sure what changed to cause these to fail or if its related to the spacer or some slight movement of the sensor, or anything else. For anyone with this issue, try replacing the sensor for sure.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

If memory serves me right the CAM is the more expensive one at like $70 and the CPS is like $20. I did the CPS also after 10 years just for the piece of mind. It's just as easy if you wanted to.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Well, I am more confused than ever. Before all the craziness, I ordered the crank position sensor, just to have one as a spare. I drove the jeep the other day and it did the long crank again. Very disappointing. Today, I went ahead and installed the crank sensor (not too difficult). Later this morning, I started it for first time today, and it did the Long crank again! It almost felt longer and more defiant lol. So now I have a new CAM sensor (couple weeks old) and new crank sensor (1 day old) and still having the long crank issue. Here are a few ideas, not sure of my next move yet. I still have no trouble codes (even with a 10 second crank start).
Could be due to the spacer on the cam sensor has deteriorated again and it shifted somehow?
Could be the wiring to the cam sensor is faulty, worn, or damaged
Could be the coil pack
Old 04-03-2020, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KClight01
Well, I am more confused than ever. Before all the craziness, I ordered the crank position sensor, just to have one as a spare. I drove the jeep the other day and it did the long crank again. Very disappointing. Today, I went ahead and installed the crank sensor (not too difficult). Later this morning, I started it for first time today, and it did the Long crank again! It almost felt longer and more defiant lol. So now I have a new CAM sensor (couple weeks old) and new crank sensor (1 day old) and still having the long crank issue. Here are a few ideas, not sure of my next move yet. I still have no trouble codes (even with a 10 second crank start).
Could be due to the spacer on the cam sensor has deteriorated again and it shifted somehow?
Could be the wiring to the cam sensor is faulty, worn, or damaged
Could be the coil pack
I did the coil pack next. That seemed to have fixed it for me.Sensors should be mopar for this and I think coil pack should be also.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Replaced coil pack today, extended crank still there. What next? Wiring?

Quick Reply: Long crank extended crank camshaft position sensor confusion